Business Licensing at the City of Mississauga

The Business Licensing By-law requires applicants to obtain approvals from various regulatory authorities for a business licence to be issued. To find out which approvals are needed for your particular business licence, check the Business Licensing Requirements Chart. Depending on your type of business, approvals may be required from the following regulatory agencies:

Planning and Building, Zoning Section

Call 3-1-1 (905-615-4311 outside city limits)

A business licence for a fixed location cannot be issued unless the use has been approved by the Zoning Section of the Planning and Building Department.  Before applying for a licence, confirm whether a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy has been issued for your use. If you are taking over an existing business for which a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy has been issued, confirm that the Certificate continues to be valid.  If no Certificate of Occupancy has been issued or if an issued Certificate is no longer valid, you must apply for and obtain a new Zoning Certificate of Occupancy before applying for your business licence.

The Zoning Section Customer Services Counter is located on the 3rd floor, 300 City Centre Drive (City Hall) or call Customer Service at 311 (or 905-615-4311 if calling from outside Mississauga) and provide your contact information (name and phone number), the property address that you are interested in and a description of your proposed use.  The details will be researched and you will receive a return phone call with the requested information.

Information on how to apply for a Zoning Certificate of Occupancy may be found here:

Region of Peel Health Department

(905) 791-7800

For health clearances (i.e. for businesses including but not limited to food service establishments, restaurants, take out or lunch counters) contact the Region of Peel at (905) 791-7800 or access their website:   

Committee of Adjustment

The Committee of Adjustment is authorized by the Ontario Planning Act to grant minor variances from the provisions of the Zoning By-law to permit extensions, enlargements or variations of existing legal non-conforming uses and to give consent to an owner of land who wishes to sell, convey or transfer an interest "part" of their land. For more information about how to apply for a minor variance click here.

Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services

(905) 896-5908

Fire inspections are required for businesses including but not limited to fireworks sales. Contact Fire Prevention at (905) 896-5908 or visit at 300 City Centre Dr., 2nd floor. Counter hours - 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m Monday to Friday.


Peel Regional Police

(905) 453-3311

For Peel Regional Police Criminal Record Searches contact Peel Regional Police, 7750 Hurontario Street, Brampton, Ontario or access their website:   Please note that police criminal searches older than thirty days or from third party sources are not accepted. Local police criminal record searches are required. For specific information on how to go about obtaining a criminal record search, access the Direction Sheet for the Criminal Record Search here.

Contact Information

  • Customer Service: Call 3-1-1 (905-615-4311 outside city limits) Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-7 p.m.