Business Licensing at the City of Mississauga

1. Which businesses require a business licence?

There are three categories of operating business licences issued under the Business Licensing By-law, Adult Entertainment Establishment Licensing By-law, Residential Rental Accommodation Licensing By-law, Medical Marihuana Licensing By-law and the Methadone Licensing By-law.

  • Fixed Location Operating Business: a business located on a property zoned for permitted use i.e. restaurant, parking lot or pet shop.
  • Mobile Operating Business Licence: a business not at a fixed location operating within the City i.e. Auctioneer, Body Rub Attendant, Carnival. 
  • Trades Operating Business Licence: a skilled trade business operating within the City i.e. plumber, paving contractor, building renovator.

2. How do I apply for a business licence?

Find out which businesses require a business licence, including which documents are required to be submited by reviewing the Business Licensing Requirements Chart. A copy of the application form can be downloaded here. Visit our office for further information.

3. Which particular by-laws apply to licensing?

The following by-laws govern the licensing of businesses within the City of Mississauga.

4. I need a taxi, limousine, tow truck or portable display unit licence. How can I find out more?

Taxicab, limousine, ice cream truck and vendors licences are classified as mobile licences. These type of licences are issued by the Mobile Licensing Section located at 3235 Mavis Road, Mississauga.

5. Do I need to register my business name for sole proprietorship, partnership or corporation?

Yes, you will need to register your business name. This is a requirement under the Business Names Act. Use the links below to find out more relating to incorporations, business number and also business taxes.

6. Which approvals or inspections will I need prior to the licence being issued?

Please refer to the Business Approvals Checklist. Depending on your business licence type, approvals may be needed from Fire Prevention, Zoning, Planning and Building and external agencies including the Region of Peel Health Department for health clearances, and also Peel Regional Police for criminal record searches and clearances. For approvals or inspections from external agencies, contact the respective organizations. Their contact details are available here.

7. I have several locations for the same business type. Do I need separate licences?

Yes you will need a separate operating licence for each location. Business licences are non-transferable.

8. Can I operate a business from my home?

Operating licences for fixed locations are subject to Zoning approval for permitted use. Contact the Zoning Section of the Planning and Building Department for further information.

9. What happens if I move my business location, I sell or close my business?

A new application, zoning certificate and/or Committee of Adjustment minor variance (if one does not already exist) will be required for the new location. Submit all appropriate documentation and related fees. See the Business Licensing Requirements Chart for more information. If you close or sell your business, notify the Business Licensing Section.

10. Do employees need a business licence?

It depends on the type of business. Employees of certain businesses such as a second hand goods shop employee will need to obtain a separate operating licence. Check the Business Licensing Requirements Chart for more information on required approvals and related fees.

11. I intend to lease a premise but am not sure if I can obtain the appropriate zoning for its use. What should I do?

If you intend to lease a premise for which a licence is required, be sure to include a clause or condition in the offer to lease that the offer will be void if a licence is not granted for zoning reasons (land use). If a premise is not zoned for the business you intend to operate, you or your landlord should contact the Zoning Section of the Planning and Building Department for more information. You may be directed to apply for a Committee of Adjustment minor variance and Zoning Certificate of Occupancy. Ask your lawyer for more details.

12. I would like to learn more about how to start a new business, where can I go for information?

The Mississauga Business Enterprise Centre (MBEC) can help you. They offer free business information and resources, one-on-one business consultations and business plan reviews. They also provide low cost business seminars, workshops, and online business training courses. MBEC is your central source for small business information, resources and guidance. Visit their office on the 4th floor of the Mississauga Central Library. You can access their website here.

13. I would like learn more about business in Mississauga, where can I go for more information?

The City of Mississauga Economic Development Office (EDO) provides information and services to help your business grow and prosper in Mississauga. The EDO can help with business development and the site selection progress, information and statistics, industry and business networks, governmental approval assistance and business problem-solving. They can also connect you to new business opportunities. Find out more by accessing the EDO website here.