The City of Mississauga’s Mississauga Business Enterprise Centre(MBEC) offers the Starter Company PLUS program. This program will assist people 18 years and over interested in starting, growing or purchasing a business in Mississauga.
The program provides:
- Free training and business skills development
- Free mentorship and guidance
- Opportunity to apply for a program grant of up to $5,000 after the completion of mandatory training and mentoring. Acceptance and participation in the program does not guarantee receiving the program grant.
The Starter Company PLUS Program is delivered by the Mississauga Business Enterprise Centre (MBEC) for the Mississauga area at the Mississauga Central Library. The program is funded by the Government of Ontario and is delivered by Small Business Enterprise Centres (“SBECs”) across Ontario who are part of the Province’s Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs (ONE). For information about the program outside of the Mississauga area, please refer to the list of Small Business Entrepreneur Centres and Community-Based Provider Locations in Ontario.
L'informations sur l’entreprise en démarrage plus est disponible en français ICI
Are You Eligible to Apply to the Program?
To be eligible for the Starter Company PLUS Program, you must meet ALL of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older at the time of application
- Not attending school full time nor returning to school
- Be a resident of Ontario
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Be proposing a new business, expansion of an existing business or buying a business in Ontario
- Be prepared to commit a minimum of 35 hours a week to running a full-time business
- Be prepared to attend scheduled training and/or mentor meetings
- Not enrolled in other provincial employment or self-employment related programs that include or do not include financial assistance
- Not currently enrolled concurrently in any self-employment or entrepreneurship training/financing programs offered by government funded organizations
- Not have received a Starter Company Program grant in the past
- If there are 2 or more partners in the business , the partner who has been accepted into the program must own minimum of 51% to be eligible to apply for the program grant.
- Provide proof of 25% contribution of the potential program grant ($1250). Contributions can be in cash or in-kind contributions.
To be eligible, a business or proposed business must:
- Be an independent business venture
- Not be a business that relies on commissioned sales
- Be a legal business in Ontario
- Not be a franchise
- Operate at arm's length from family business ventures
- Operate full-time as defined in the business plan
- Maintain its own books and records
- Maintain a separate bank account
- Follow all government rules and regulations and applicable by-laws for the operation of the business
- Be sales ready at the time of funding
- Applicant must be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
What is the Process to Apply?
The process of applying to the Starter Company PLUS Program in Mississauga involves two simple steps, including completing an online application.
Before starting your online application, we recommend that you spend time thinking about your new business idea, your business expansion plans or information about the business you would like to purchase. As part of the application process, you will be required to provide information about your business including:
- Product/Service description
- Customers/Target market
- Financials (i.e. Start up/Expansion budget)
- To be considered to be a participant of the program you must complete the online program application, comply with the program requirements and the program terms and conditions provided by the City of Mississauga and the Government of Ontario.
- Successful applicants will be notified of their acceptance as a participant in the program.
- There are limited spots available for participation in the program.
- Submission of your program application does not guarantee your acceptance into the program as a participant, nor the receipt of the program grant.
- Incomplete program applications will not be considered.
- The process by which this program is delivered is subject to change.
Once accepted as a participant in the program, you may have the opportunity to apply for the program grant. There is a separate application process for the program grant which is available to program participants after completion of mandatory training and mentoring sessions. Further details of the grant application process will be provided to the program participants in the training seminars during the program.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact MBEC at 905-615-4460 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Online applications for the Starter Company PLUS Spring 2018 Intake will open on June 27, 2018.
You are required to complete and submit an online application to be considered for participation in the Starter Company PLUS program in Mississauga. The following are the application deadlines.
Submission of your program application does not guarantee your acceptance into the program or program grant.
Take the time before applying to ensure you have met the eligibility criteria.
It is also recommended to review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) prior to completing the program application.
SPRING 2018 SCHEDULE
To help you plan your schedule and before you apply, please find below the dates and times of the training and mentoring sessions offered in the program. Please note that these sessions are mandatory to complete to be eligible to apply for the program grant. To be eligible to apply for the program grant, you are required to attend a minimum of 12 hours of training and a minimum of four hours of mentoring.
- Monday May 14, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday May 15, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday May 16, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
- Thursday May 17, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday May 22, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday May 29, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday June 5, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.
- Monday June 12, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact MBEC at 905-615-4460 Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.