The City of Mississauga’s Mississauga Business Enterprise Centre(MBEC) offers the Starter Company PLUS program. This program will assist people 18 years and over interested in starting, growing or purchasing a business in Mississauga.
The program provides:
- Training and business skills development
- Mentorship and guidance
- Opportunity to apply for a grant of up to $5,000
The Starter Company PLUS Program is delivered by the Mississauga Business Enterprise Centre (MBEC) for the Mississauga area at the Mississauga Central Library. The program is funded by the Government of Ontario and is delivered by Small Business Enterprise Centres (“SBECs”) across Ontario who are part of the Province’s Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs (ONE). For information about the program outside of the Mississauga area, please refer to the list of Small Business Entrepreneur Centres and Community-Based Provider Locations in Ontario.
L'informations sur l’entreprise en démarrage plus est disponible en français ICI
Are You Eligible to Apply to the Program?
To be eligible for the Starter Company PLUS Program, you must meet ALL of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older at the time of application
- Not attending school full time nor returning to school
- Be a resident of Ontario
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- Be proposing a new business, expansion of an existing business or buying a business in Ontario
- Be prepared to commit a minimum of 35 hours a week to running the business
- Be prepared to attend scheduled training and/or mentor meetings
- Not enrolled in other provincial employment or self-employment related programs that include or do not include financial assistance
- Not currently enrolled concurrently in any self-employment or entrepreneurship training/financing programs offered by government funded organizations
- Not have received a Starter Company Program grant in the past
What is the Process to Apply?
The process of applying to the Starter Company PLUS Program in Mississauga involves two simple steps, including completing an online application.
Before starting your online application, we recommend that you spend time thinking about your new business idea, your business expansion plans or information about the business you would like to purchase. As part of the application process, you will be required to provide information about your business including:
- Product/Service description
- Customers/Target market
- Financials (i.e. Start up/Expansion budget)
Once accepted as a participant in the program, you may have the opportunity to apply for the program grant. There is a separate application process for the program grant which is available to program participants after completion of mandatory training and mentoring sessions. Further details of the grant application process will be provided to the program participants in the training seminars during the program.
- To be considered to be a participant of the program you must complete the online program application, comply with the program requirements and the program terms and conditions provided by the City of Mississauga and the Government of Ontario.
- Successful applicants will be notified of their acceptance as a participant in the program.
- There are limited spots available for participation in the program.
- Submission of your program application does not guarantee your acceptance into the program as a participant, nor the receipt of the program grant.
- Incomplete program applications will not be considered.
- The process by which this program is delivered is subject to change.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact MBEC at 905-615-4460 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
You are required to complete and submit an online application to be considered for participation in the Starter Company PLUS program in Mississauga. The following are the 2017/2018 application deadlines.
Submission of your program application does not guarantee your acceptance into the program or program grant.
Take the time before applying to ensure you have met the eligibility criteria.
It is also recommended to review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) prior to completing the program application.
WINTER 2018 SCHEDULE
To help you plan your schedule and before you apply, please find below the dates and times of the training and mentoring sessions offered in the program. Please note that these sessions are mandatory to complete to be eligible to apply for the program grant. To be eligible to apply for the program grant, you are required to attend a minimum of 12 hours of training and a minimum of four hours of mentoring.
- Monday Jan.8, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday Jan.9, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday Jan.10, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
- Thursday Jan.11, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday Jan.16, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday Jan.23, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday Jan.30, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.
- Monday Feb.5, 2018 5:30 p.m.- 7:30 p.m.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact MBEC at 905-615-4460 Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.