Start Your Business
Featured Article
H. Regulations

A) BizPaL

BizPaL is a joint initiative between the federal, provincial, and municipal levels of government aimed at providing a single database of the required licenses and permits for your business.

B) Zoning

Mississauga Zoning By-Laws identify land uses permitted throughout the City and details what is restricted or allowed on all property including; type of uses, building setbacks and other restrictions. Questions involving interpretations of the Zoning By-Laws should be directed to the Zoning Plan Examination Group of the Planning and Building Department. For more information, contact: City of Mississauga Building Division - Zoning Plan Examination Planning and Building Department 300 City Centre Drive, Mississauga, Ontario

3-1-1 (or 905-615-4311 if outside the city limits)

 C)  City Licensing

 Businesses specified in Mississauga By-Law's are required to obtain a business licence in Mississauga.  Licences are also required for persons operating public vehicles such as taxis, limousines, catering trucks and driving schools. 

For further information please contact:

Licensing Counter 1st Floor - Mississauga Civic Centre
3235 Mavis Road (ground floor), Mississauga,Ontario.
Business Licences/ Public Vehicle Licences - 3-1-1 (or 905-615-4311 if outside the city limits) 

D) Other Licensing

Many business require licenses from other levels of government or from regulatory and association bodies. It is highly recommended that you research your business idea in detail to verify if a license may be required.

Some of the more common licenses you may need are: 

•   Daycares

•   Skilled Trades such as mechanics, carpenters, and hair stylists

•   Engineers or anyone providing Engineering Services

•   Travel Agents or Tour Operators

•   Trading of stocks and/or bonds

•   Catering and Restaurants

•   Sale of Alcohol or Tobacco

•   Real Estate

•   Insurance Brokers

•   New or used car dealers


E)  Food Processing/Preparation/Service

Any company engaged in the processing, preparation and/or servicing of food must comply with the Ontario regulations of the Health Protection and Promotion Act.  For details, contact the Region of Peel at:

Region of Peel



(905) 799-7700

Peel Health Inspections

Region of Peel Food Certification

F) Standards

Any product and some services you offer for sale must meet certain standards to ensure that it is safe and to protect consumers and other businesses against faulty construction and misleading sales practices. Examples of products that require testing or certification include:

•         Toys

•         Drugs and Cosmetics

•         Building Products

•         Electronics

•         Clothing and Textiles – Labelling

•         Food Packaging

•         Consumer Packaging

If you are unsure if your business requires a license or requires testing or certification, please contact MBEC or an appropriate government or regulatory organization such as:

Standards Council of Canada   

270 Albert Street, Suite 200
Ottawa ON
Telephone: (613) 238-3222

Canadian Standards Association
5060 Spectrum Way
Mississauga ON