Start Your Business
Featured Article
J. Other Considerations

i) Insurance
Although business insurance is not mandatory, it is highly recommended that you consider business insurance. The types of insurance available include liability, building, contents, business interruption, marine cargo, employee injuries, miscellaneous coverage, automobile insurance, and home-based business insurance. If you operate a home-based business, it is recommended that you review your home insurance policy for the home-base business clause. To obtain insurance, please contact your local insurance agent.

ii) Workplace Safety and Insurance Board
If you employ workers on a full-time, part-time or temporary basis in an industry or business covered under the Worker's Compensation Act, you must register with the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) within ten (10) days of employing your first worker.

It is voluntary for self-employed persons to contribute to the WSIB. Contact the nearest WSIB office to obtain a registration kit, which includes information on assessments, coverage, accident reporting requirements and appeals procedures. Call the WSIB at: (416) 344-1013 or

iii) Employment Standards
The Employment Standards Act applies to most employees and employers in Ontario. The Act outlines the guidelines for hours of work, minimum wage, overtime pay, vacation pay and mandatory statutory holidays. For more information, call the Ontario Ministry of Labour - Employment Standards Branch at: (416) 326-7160 or