The Mississauga Public Vehicle Advisory Committee is an advisory committee of Council established to make recommendations to the Council of the City of Mississauga designed and intended to provide a safe, efficient and orderly public vehicle for hire service for the residents of Mississauga.
The Mississauga Public Vehicle Advisory Committee shall operate according to the Procedural By-law regulating the operation of meetings of Council and its Committees. Appointed members are required to attend meetings on a bi-monthly and on an 'as required' basis to discuss issues related to the public vehicle for hire industry in the City of Mississauga. Staff reports are primarily generated based on referral from the Public Vehicle Advisory Committee.
An election shall be held every three years to elect qualified industry members to the Mississauga Public Vehicle Advisory Committee with a term of office concurrent with the term of Council. The City Clerk, or his/her designate, shall be responsible for conducting the election of the taxicab industry. The Rules and Procedures for conducting a Public Vehicle Advisory Committee election are appended as Appendix "A".
TERM OF OFFICE
1. The Term of Office for citizen members and Council members on the Mississauga Public Vehicle Advisory Committee shall run concurrent with the term of Council, or until successors are appointed.
2. At the first meeting of the new term of the Mississauga Public Vehicle Advisory Committee, the members shall elect, from among their number, a Chair and Vice-Chair who will not be a member of the public vehicle industry. The Chair should be a member of Council.
3. Members of Subcommittees will be appointed as required.
1. A quorum of the Mississauga Public Vehicle Advisory Committee shall result from the presence of a majority of the appointed and elected members, at a time no later than thirty (30) minutes past the time for which the meeting was scheduled and so noted on the agenda or notice of the meeting.
2. The presence of one (1) of the appointed Council members shall be required to make quorum.
3. Members of the taxicab industry who are elected or appointed and who are unable to attend a meeting, may appoint a designate who is licensed under the same category as the absent member to attend in their place and who shall constitute quorum.
4. The elected or appointed member of the taxicab industry must comply with the section in the Procedural By-law regarding attendance at meetings in that a member shall not miss three consecutive meetings without appointing a designate or without the consent of Council.
The membership on the Mississauga Public Vehicle Advisory Committee shall consist of appointments by Resolution of Council for Citizen members and Council members and the election and appointment of industry members and will comprise of the following with voting rights:
Appointment of Members (by Resolution)
Industry Members (Elected)
1 Representative from the Taxicab Owners (elected by Owners)
1 Representative from the Taxicab Drivers (elected by Drivers)
1 Representative from the Taxicab Industry elected (at large) by both Owners and Drivers
Industry Members (Appointed)
1 Representative from the Livery Owners
1 Representative from the Brokerages
The Mississauga Public Vehicle Advisory Committee may establish subcommittees from time to time, to deal with specific issues. The subcommittees make recommendations to the Public Vehicle Advisory Committee; quorum includes one member of Council. All members of the subcommittee have the right to vote. The Chair of the subcommittee will be appointed at the first meeting of the subcommittee.
The City Clerk or his/her designate will assign duties as Secretary to the Mississauga Public Vehicle Advisory Committee and its subcommittees.
The Director, Enforcement and Manager, Vehicle Licensing of the Enforcement Division will provide support for issues within the Committee's mandate.