Sep 23, 2019
The online budget allocator lets residents test different spending options for a range of City services including recreation, library, transit, fire and emergency services and more by increasing or decreasing the budget for each service area all while maintaining a balanced budget.
Results received from the allocator by October 18, 2019 will be shared with Budget Committee on November 18, 2019. The results will help inform the committee’s review of the proposed 2020 Business Plan and Budget.
“The budget allocator is a hands-on way for residents to learn more about what City services cost, how property tax dollars are spent and to tell us about how they want us to invest their tax dollars,” says Jeff Jackson, Director of Finance and Treasurer. “It is an opportunity for residents to think about the City’s service levels and spending and to share what is important to them. It also provides the opportunity for people to get involved in and learn more about the City’s business planning and budgeting process."
Budget Allocator Background
• The City of Mississauga introduced an online budget allocator tool in 2014 to raise awareness of the budget process; get residents thinking about the impacts of spending choices; and provide a way for residents to voice their opinions about the City’s plans and budget.
• There are 12 service areas included, each with five spending options to work with.
• Results are to be shared with Budget Committee on November 18, 2019.
Learn About the Budget
Details about the City’s budget and the budgeting process are available online at mississauga.ca/budget
Read an overview
of the 2020 preliminary Business Plan & Budget that was presented to Budget Committee on June 26, 2019.
• The full 2020 Proposed Business Plan & Budget will be posted online November 5, 2019.
• Budget Committee deliberations are scheduled for October 2, November 18, 19, 25, 26 and 27, 2019 with a Council vote to approve the budget planned at the December 11, 2019 Council Meeting.*
* Budget Committee meeting schedules are subject to change.
Get Involved in Planning and Budgeting
• Sign up
to participate in a Telephone Budget Session
Attend a Budget Committee meeting or watch online
Senior Advisor, Media and Public Information
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200, ext. 5046