Dec 04, 2014
The second annual Abilities Awards were held in Mississauga on Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at the Mississauga Convention Centre.
The event is a community-inspired celebration of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities. Celebrating the achievements of persons with disabilities and their contributions to the community, the Awards highlighted community partners who are dedicated to providing quality accessible services in our community.
Hosted by Jahmeelah Gamble from A Voice for All on Rogers TV, the evening featured live music, exhibitors and raffles. Singers and songwriters Justin Hines, Michael Ciufo, Ron Baumber and the Ontario Heartland Chorus performed.
The following individuals and organizations were awarded for their advocacy in the abilities sector in the following categories (see attached Backgrounder for individual biographies):
• Category: Citizenship, Recipient: Kristin Hayes
• Category: Advocacy, Recipient: Carion Fenn
• Category: Arts (individual), Recipient: Shawn Brush
• Category: Arts (group), Recipient: ‘RARE’ Theatre Company
• Category: Lifestyle, Recipient: Bret Wills
• Category: Media, Recipient: Jahmeelah Gamble
• Category: Caregiver, Recipients: Judith Elaine and Patrick Lee
• Category: Service Provider, Recipient: Jane New
For more information about the Abilities Awards visit abilitiesawards.org or contact email@example.com.
– 30 –
Senior Advisor, Corporate Communications
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200, ext. 3940 / TTY# 905-896-5151