May 11, 2015
Do you know what it takes to keep the city moving each day? Family Fun Day – a celebration of National Public Works Week (NPWW) is the perfect time to learn more about public works.
“Roads, traffic lights, street lights, lost and injured animals, buses and stormwater are services our employees provide each day,” said Martin Powell, Transportation and Works commissioner. “National Public Works Week is an opportunity to recognize these important public works services. Bring your family and help us to celebrate National Public Works Week (NPWW) on Saturday, May 23."
Mississauga's NPWW Events May 19-23
Local schools are getting involved in the action by designing catch basins, learning how they work, and how they are connected to stormwater and water quality.
Family Fun Day
Where: Mississauga Celebration Square
When: Saturday, May 23, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
What: Interactive educational displays
• Put on some safety gear and have your family photo taken at our new photo booth
• Take a guided bus tour of a city construction project
• Learn more about stormwater
• See a rescue display by Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services at 1 p.m.
• Let your kids take our Passport Challenge for a chance to win an iTunes gift card
• Buy a burger to support Engineers Without Borders
• Munch on some free popcorn
• Bring the kids to our bouncy castle or new sports dome to play soccer, baseball or basketball.
Public Tours at Two Transportation and Works Locations
Where: Engineering and Works, 3185 Mavis Road, and City Centre Transit Terminal, 200 Rathburn Road West
When: May 19 - May 21 starting at 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. at each facility, each day.
For more information visit mississauga.ca/roads or contact Scott Holmes, manager works operations, Transportation and Works, at 905-615-3200, ext. 5894.
Senior Communications Advisor
Phone: 905-615-3200 x5232