If you wish to address Council or any Committee of Council and make your views known on a particular issue, you may request the opportunity by completing a Request To Speak at Council and Committees of Council Form.
NOTE: The Request to Speak form does not apply to presentation made under the Planning Act. If your request relates to a matter scheduled for The Planning and Development Committee Legislative Coordinator, please contact Angie Melo, firstname.lastname@example.org.
37. Any person wishing to address Council on any matter shall submit a request to the Clerk by 4:00 p.m. eight (8) business days prior to the meeting at which the person desires to be heard, stating the nature of the business to be discussed.
38. (1) For the purpose of Section 37, the Clerk shall determine the appropriate committee or meeting date that a request for delegation may be listed.
(2) Notwithstanding Section 37 and 39, requests for delegation to Council regarding matters that have previously been made at a Committee will be denied if the report from the Committee meeting that the delegation was made to is being considered at the Council.
39. Any person wishing to address Council on a matter on the agenda shall submit a request to the Clerk by 4:00 p.m. two days prior to the meeting.
40. A person granted permission to address Council shall confine their remarks to the stated business.
41. Each delegation to Council shall be limited to speaking not more than five (5) minutes in total.
Please note: Your request to speak at Council in accordance with Section 39 must be in reference to a specific item on the agenda.
- Submit completed Request to Speak form to the Legislative Coordinator of the Committee you are requesting to make your deputation at (http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/cityhall/agendas)
- Requests will be directed to the Legislative Coordinator for the Committee most appropriate to address the issues you wish to present.
- The Legislative Coordinator will confirm the Committee and the date your deputation has been scheduled for.
- Your presentation should be limited to one or two people. Deputations are limited to a maximum of five (5) minutes at Council, and ten (10) minutes at General Committee, Audit Committee, Budget Committee and other Committees of Council
- Keep in mind the time limit at Council 5 minutes and at Committees of Council 10 minutes your comments should be concise and to the point.
- If you have audio visual needs, please ensure that you arrive prior to 8:30 a.m. and report to the AV technician. PowerPoint presentations must be on a USB memory stick and videos can be on a USB memory stick or on DVD. A document projector is also available.
- The PowerPoint presentation must be submitted electronically, the Wednesday prior to your deputation to the Legislative Coordinator to issue copies for Council/Committee Members.
- When addressing Members of Council, it is appropriate to address the Mayor as “Madam/Mr. Mayor” and Councillors as “Councillor (last name)”. You may be asked questions by the Mayor and/or individual Councillors following your presentation. Questions often relate to receiving clarification on an issue.
Please Note: All information provided on Council, or Committees of Council, petition, request to speak at Council or Committee of Council form or correspondence will be publicly available.
Note: If you wish to express your concerns to Council in writing you can do so by submitting an email or sending a letter addressed to the City Clerk, City of Mississauga, by email or mail to the Legislative Coordinator (http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/cityhall/agendas)
City of Mississauga
Office of the Clerk, 2nd Floor
300 City Centre Drive
Mississauga, Ontario L5B 3C1