Jun 21, 2016
Celebrate Canada's 149th birthday on Friday July 1 from 2 to 10:30 p.m. at Mississauga Celebration Square with amazing artists and 100,000 friends. The event is headlined by multi award-winning Canadian performers The Strumbellas, folk-pop songstress Ria Mae and features a spectacular fireworks show to end the night.
Join Mayor Bonnie Crombie and Members of Council to celebrate Canada Day at the Square's biggest event of the year presented by Tim Hortons.
ET Canada’s Cheryl Hickey and Global News Toronto’s Farah Nasser, Alan Carter and Liem Vu will host the free event which includes family-friendly entertainment all day long.
This year’s entertainment features aerial cirque shows, extreme stunt running demos such as parkour and a concert line-up showcasing the best in Canadian talent, including:
• children’s performer Fred Penner;
• Mississauga rapper John River;
• YouTube sensation Dan Talevski;
• pop maven Ria Mae; and
• North American, chart-topping band The Strumbellas.
Date: Friday, July 1, 2016
Time: 2 to 10:30 p.m.
Mississauga Celebration Square
300 City Centre Dr.
Canada Day 2016 Schedule of Events
CAMP CANUCK FOR KIDS
2 to 6 p.m.
Camp Canuck promises an afternoon of fun for kids of all ages at Celebration Square. Families will experience roaming characters, face-painting, crafts and stage shows. Activities include:
• Aerial Birds of Canada soaring overhead in a spectacular cirque show;
• parkour demonstrations by Monkeyvault;
• percussion from around the world in the World Beat Pavilion, including the Mississaugas of the New Credit, the Souls of Steel Orchestra and Alpha Rhythm Roots;
• Canadian Trivia with Historica Canada; and
• a chalk art performance by Multi-disciplinary artist Vanessa Dion Fletcher with Mnemonic Memory: Mississauga.
2 p.m. The Octonauts
3:15 p.m. Fred Penner
4 p.m. Official Ceremony with Mayor Crombie and Members of Council
5:45 p.m. Dead Penny
6:15 p.m. John River
7:30 p.m. Dan Talevski
8:15 p.m. Ria Mae
9:15 p.m. The Strumbellas
10:20 p.m. Fireworks
Mississauga’s DJ Mensa will keep the crowd moving all night long
A variety of more than 25 food trucks will be on site. Click here for a complete list of on-site food truck vendors.
IMPORTANT EVENT INFORMATION:
Parking and Transportation – With limited access to available parking downtown, event goers are encouraged to carpool, walk, bike or take public transit. Residents and visitors to the event can use MiWay's new Plan a Trip tool in one place, on any device at miway.ca/planatrip or call 905-615-INFO (4636) for customized route and schedule information to get to Celebration Square on time. Limited accessible parking is available at the 201 City Centre Dr. parking lot after 3 p.m. and in the Living Arts Centre underground parking lot.
Road Closures – There will be road closures in the city’s downtown core from 10 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. on July 1:
Closed: 10 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
• Duke of York Blvd. from Burnhamthorpe Rd. W. to Prince of Wales Dr.
• City Centre Dr. from Living Arts Dr. to Mercer St.
• Princess Royal Dr. from Living Arts Dr. to Duke of York Blvd.
Closed: 7 to 11:30 p.m.
• Living Arts Dr. from Burnhamthorpe Rd. W. to Prince of Wales Drive
• Burnhamthorpe Rd. W. from Confederation Pkwy. to Hurontario St. Kariya Gate from Burnhamthorpe Rd. W. to City Centre Dr. (north-bound lanes only)
Other Canada Day Celebrations in Mississauga
• Canada Day in Malton - maltonbia.com
• Port Credit Paint the Town Red – paintthetownred.ca
• Streetsville Canada Day Celebration – villageofstreetsville.com
Did you know that fireworks can only be set off on Statutory Holidays - Victoria Day, Canada Day, Diwali and Chinese New Year? You can also use fireworks on a day for which a permit has been issued by the Fire Chief, only on the property listed within the permit. Visit the City’s website for more information on using fireworks safely on Canada Day.
Join us at Mississauga Celebration Square this Canada Day for an spectacular fireworks finale sponsored by Tim Hortons. Free events like Canada Day at Mississauga Celebration Square are possible through the generous support from our fireworks sponsor Tim Hortons.
Special thanks to our volunteer sponsor Bell and our media sponsors Global News Toronto and 99.9 Virgin Radio. The Canada Day celebration at Mississauga Celebration Square is possible in part due to a Canadian Heritage grant provided to help support cultural shows and performers.
Media resources including pictures, videos, a schedule of events and editorial content are available on our Canada Day Online Media Kit.
Use the hashtag #MCSCanadaDay to join the conversation on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
For a full listing of events at Mississauga Celebration Square, visit mississaugacelebrationsquare.ca. 'Like’ Mississauga Celebration Square on Facebook and follow @mcsevents on Twitter and @celebrationsquare on Instagram.
Communications Advisor, Community Services
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200 ext. 3940