Feb 20, 2018
The City of Mississauga has experienced substantial rainfall over the last 24 hours and the weather forecast is predicting an additional 20 millimetres of rainfall before the end of day Wednesday, February 21. Water levels will continue to rise in response to the rain and melting snow. Ice in the Credit River may begin to break up as water levels approach the top of the bank which will increase the potential for flooding due to ice jams.
For safety and to reduce potential damage, the following measures are recommended:
- Avoid walking or driving in flooded areas
- Stay away from creeks, rivers, streams and frozen bodies of water
- Clear debris from catch basins near your home or business, as long as it is safe to do so
- Call 3-1-1 to report blocked catch basins or road flooding in your neighbourhood
- Do not open any sewer manholes under any circumstances
To report flooding, please call 3-1-1 or 905-615-4311 outside City limits. For emergency assistance, please call 9-1-1.
Carley Smith DeBenedictis
Senior Communications Advisor
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200, ext. 4203