Have an idea about a library program, a City-owned recreation facility or something you’d like to see at a local park? Tell us about it. The City is creating long-range plans for the next five to 10 years for the City’s Culture, Recreation, Parks & Forestry, Library and Fire & Emergency Services.
“As Mississauga continues to grow, so does the number of residents using City-run programs, services and facilities,” said Paul Mitcham, Commissioner, Community Services. “It’s important to understand what the community sees as priorities so we can ensure we continue to meet their needs now and in the future.”
To create these plans, input from the community will be combined with feedback from other stakeholders, targeted user groups, data and trends. Plans will address concerns about existing programs and services, align with Council priorities and investigate innovative and unique opportunities to enhance City services and programs. The Culture Division recently completed a series of public meetings focused on the future of arts and culture in the city.
Mitcham added, “Getting feedback from the community is essential when it comes to preparing service area plans. Residents and stakeholders provide a lot of great insights into understanding community priorities and needs, gaps in services or programs where funds need to be spent and ideas to consider in the future.”
Over the next 14 months, City staff will work with consultants to:
• gather insights, ideas and thoughts about the future direction for Culture, Recreation, Parks & Forestry, Library and Fire & Emergency Services;
• host a number of community engagement initiatives including resident surveys, face-to-face sessions and online feedback;
• cluster information with other sources of data to drive the creation of the plans;
• reach out to the public and staff for feedback on draft plans; and
• present each plan to City Council for review and approval.
Residents interested in sharing their thoughts can do so via an online survey, email, telephone, participating in a public meeting or attending a community event. For more information about how to provide feedback, visit mississauga.ca/yourfuture.
Senior Communications Advisor
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200, ext. 5053 Karen.Flores@mississauga.ca