Feb 25, 2009
In a special ceremony held today in Council, the City of Mississauga honoured over 90
employees through the Corporate Awards For Excellence for going above and beyond and excelling
on projects and initiatives completed in 2008.
"At the City of Mississauga, we are committed to being an employer of choice and
creating a work environment where employee contributions and accomplishments are
recognized," said Acting City Manager and Commissioner of Transportation and Works Martin
Powell. "The Corporate Awards For Excellence program is our opportunity to recognize staff
who have made a significant impact on the success of our corporation, and stayed focused on our
corporate values of trust, quality and excellence. I'm extremely proud of our employees'
The Corporate Awards For Excellence are presented annually, in seven different
The award categories and 2008 recipients are:
Customer Service Award: Given to an individual or team who has consistently
"gone the extra mile" to earn the respect, support and appreciation of their
- Judy Eves, Recreation and Parks, Community Services Department
- Corporate Services Records Team, Corporate Services Department
Continuous Improvement Award: Given to an individual and team who has brought about a
significant change through their innovation and creativity.
- David Penteliuk, Mississauga Library, Community Services Department
- Linda Rampen, Recreation and Parks, Community Services Department
- Malton Community Centre, Recreation and Parks,Community Services Department
Leadership & Empowerment Award: Given to an individual at any level of the
Corporation who through leadership and vision has inspired staff by gaining their commitment,
making them feel valued and by building effective teams.
- Al Hills, Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services, Community Services Department
Team Effectiveness Award: Given to a team that has successfully achieved superior
results through group efforts.
- National Public Works Week Committee, Transportation and Works Department
Partnership Award: Given to a team who has engaged in a joint project or event, with
an external organization, association, service group or level of government where the outcome
has demonstrated mutual benefits.
- Integrated Municipal Enforcement Team (comprised of various City staff and members from
the Peel Regional Police, the Region of Peel and the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of
Kirk French Spirit Award: This award honours the memory of former employee Kirk
French. The Spirit award is meant to recognize individuals who are able to lift the spirits of
their co-workers with their positive outlook towards their job and life in general. This award
is given to an individual who exemplifies a love of life, adds laughter and vitality to the
workplace and enriches the lives of others.
- Cathy Mills, Mississauga Transit, Transportation and Works Department
City Manager's Award of Excellence: Presented to an individual or team that has
demonstrated outstanding qualities of excellence in their work.
- Building a City for the 21st Century Team (comprised of various City
For a detailed listing of all award recipients, please see attachment.
Mississauga is Canada's sixth largest city with a population of more than 700,000. With
well-established infrastructure and state-of-the-art facilities, the City is considered to be
an employer of choice, delivering quality municipal programs and services to its citizens.
Mississauga is a dynamic, diverse and progressive municipality, known for its economic
strength and for being Canada's safest city.
Public Affairs Assistant