Feb 24, 2010
In a special ceremony held today in Council, the City of
Mississauga honoured over 100 employees for going above and beyond and excelling on projects
and initiatives completed in 2009 through the internal Corporate Awards For Excellence
"At the City of Mississauga we strive to create a work environment where employee
contributions and achievements are recognized and celebrated," said Janice Baker City
Manager and CAO. "The Corporate Awards For Excellence program is our opportunity to
acknowledge the individuals and teams whose work had a significant impact on the success of our
corporation and exemplified our corporate values of trust, quality and excellence. I am proud
of the work our employees have accomplished."
The Corporate Awards For Excellence is presented annually, in eight different categories.
The award categories and 2009 recipients are:
1. Customer Service Award: Given to an individual or team who has consistently
"gone the extra mile" to earn the respect, support and appreciation of their
- Russell Pooley, Recreation and Parks, Community Services Department
- Cooksville Branch Library, Library Services, Community Services Department
2. Continuous Improvement Award: Given to an individual
and team who have brought about a significant change through their innovation and
- Nicole Fitz-Henry, Facilities and Property Management, Corporate Services Department
- Autoprocess Automation Project Team, Information Technology, Corporate Services
- Business Development Team and Customer Service Recreation & Parks, Community Services
3. Leadership & Empowerment Award: Given to an
individual at any level of the Corporation who through leadership and vision has inspired staff
by gaining their commitment, making them feel valued and by building effective teams.
- Susan Burt, Culture Division, Community Services Department
4. Team Effectiveness Award: Given to a team that has
successfully achieved superior results through group efforts.
- Accessible Customer Service Core Team, comprised of staff from all departments
- Vic Johnston Community Centre Redevelopment Team, comprised of staff from various
5. Partnership Award: Given to a team who has engaged in a
joint project or event, with an external organization, association, service group or level of
government where the outcome has demonstrated mutual benefits.
- Jamie Dumas, Recreation and Parks, Community Services Department
- Sheridan/Mississauga Partnership Group, comprised of staff from all departments
6. Kirk French Spirit Award: This award honours the memory
of former employee Kirk French. The Spirit award is meant to recognize individuals who are able
to lift the spirits of their co-workers with their positive outlook toward their job and life
in general. This award is given to an individual who exemplifies a love of life, adds laughter
and vitality to the workplace and enriches the lives of others.
- Alice Benning-Zubek, Human Resources, Corporate Services Department
7. Brenda Sakauye Environment Award: This is a new award
being presented this year. It honours the memory of former employee Brenda Sakauye. The award
reflects Brendas commitment, dedication to and passion for the environment which has
helped make the City of Mississauga a leader in environmental initiatives. The award is given
to an individual or team who has made an innovative or significant environmental contribution
which advanced the Citys Strategic Plan Living Green pillar for change.
- Iceland Heat Recovery Team, comprised of staff from various departments
8. City Manager's Award of Excellence: Presented to an
individual or team that has demonstrated outstanding qualities of excellence in their work.
- Space Planning Team, comprised of staff from various departments
As Canada's sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 730,000
residents and 55,000 businesses, including 61 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices
or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located
on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is one of
Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers for 2010. Enhancing its citizens' quality of life by
providing superior services, revitalizing its infrastructure and conserving the environment,
Mississauga is committed to innovation, operational excellence and fiscal responsibility which
is reflected in its motto: "Leading Today for Tomorrow."
- 30 -
Manager, Corporate Communications (A)
Phone: 905-615-3200 x5832