More Mississauga Tweets
2013 Grant Programs: Corporate and Arts & Culture

Feb 12, 2013

Mississauga Council allocated almost $1.5 million towards the arts and culture grants program and $770,442 for corporate grants.

"The City of Mississauga's grant programs allow us to continue to build a community that serves residents," said Paul Mitcham, commissioner, Community Services. "The City is committed to strengthening our neighbourhoods which we are able to do by supporting community-based organizations through these programs."

Arts & Culture Grant Program

The Arts & Culture Grant Program is administered by the Culture Division which, under Council direction, assumes direct responsibility for the distribution of municipal grants to arts, heritage and cultural organizations.

"The grant program offers Mississauga's arts, culture and heritage organizations support to achieve stability and to reach their goals," said Susan Burt, director, Culture Division. "With grants these groups are in a better position to take advantage of creative and artistic opportunities that will further enhance their contribution to the Mississauga community."

Grants totalling $1,495,060 will be awarded to groups for long-term growth and development of arts and culture in our community. The grants will be awarded to:

Operating Grants
• Art Gallery of Mississauga - $325,000
• Chamber Music Society of Mississauga - $70,000
• Esperanza Music Project - $5,000
• Girls Rock Camp Mississauga - $8,375
• Heritage Mississauga - $211,000
• Living Arts Centre (LAC) - $100,000
• Mississauga Arts Council (MAC) - $243,450
• Mississauga Big Band Jazz Ensemble - $5,740
• Mississauga Children’s Choir - $20,000
• Mississauga Chinese Arts Organization (MCAO) - $9,975
• Mississauga Choral Society - $70,000
• Mississauga Festival Choir - $11,250
• Mississauga Festival Youth Choir - $11,000
• Mississauga Santa Claus Parade - $10,000
• Mississauga Symphony Orchestra - $110,000
• Sampradaya Dance Creations - $100,000
• SAWITRI Theatre Group - $12,000
• Theatre Unlimited - $14,000
• Visual Arts Mississauga (VAM) - $110,000
• Vychodna Slovak Dancers - $8,000
• Youth Troopers for Global Awareness (YTGA) - $27,150

Project Grants
• Cow Over Moon Children's Theatre - $4,000
• Port Credit Village Project - $4,120

Capital Grants
• Art Gallery of Mississauga - $5,000

Arts & Culture Grant Program Contact:

Andrew Douglas, Culture Division: 905-615-3200 ext. 5476

Corporate Grants Program
The Corporate Grants Program is co-ordinated by the City's Recreation Division. This year's approved funding of $740,442 will be divided among 13 groups that provide community-based programs, services and projects for Mississauga residents. The grants will be awarded to:

• Riverwood Conservancy - $131,859
• Mississauga Sports Council - $85,000
• Square One Older Adult Centre - $66,393
• Volunteer Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon - $35,000
• Big Brothers Big Sisters of Peel - $10,500
• Applewood Centre for Adult Learning – $6,500
• Chinese Business Association - $5,000
• St. John Ambulance, Mississauga Branch - $7,500
• Community Living Mississauga - $10,500
• Nexus Youth Services - $40,115
• Mississauga Friendship Association - $12,000
• Erin Mills Youth Centre - $12,000
• Safe City Mississauga - $318,075

"Grant submissions must undergo a complete review to ensure each application meets the criteria for accountability, effectiveness, accessibility and collaboration," said Howie Dayton, director Recreation Division. "The grants program provides our valued community organizations with the funds necessary to deliver important programs and services to our residents."

Dayton explained groups approved for corporate grants in excess of $20,000 will receive 75 per cent of the grant approximately one month following Council's approval and the remaining 25 per cent following the submission of their previous year's final financial statements. All financial statements are reviewed by the City's Finance Division.

Corporate Grants Program Contact:
Theresa Kramer, manager Community Development 905-615-3200 ext. 2879.

As Canada's sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 741,000 residents and more than 54,000 businesses, including more than 60 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is "Leading Today for Tomorrow" by focussing on delivering services, implementing its Strategic Plan, delivering value for money and maintaining infrastructure.


Media Contact:
Baljit Seran
Public Affairs Consultant
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200 ext. 5053
TTY: 905-896-5151