Feb 20, 2013
During this morning's meeting of Council, 140 City of Mississauga employees were honoured
with internal Corporate Awards for Excellence for outstanding achievements in 2012.
"Each year, the City takes time to recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of our
staff," said Janice Baker, City Manager and CAO. "Their hard work and commitment to
excellence contribute to the Citys vision and strategic goals and help Mississauga remain a
The Corporate Awards For Excellence are presented annually, in eight different
The award categories and 2012 recipients are:
1. Customer Service Award: Given to individuals and a team who has
consistently "gone the extra mile" to earn the respect, support and appreciation of
- Fred Grubic, Parks Person I, Parks and Forestry
- Maria Torresan, Public Affairs Assistant, Communications
- Erin Meadows Library Team
2. Continuous Improvement Award: Given to an individual and team
who has brought about a significant change through their innovation and creativity.
- Joseph Passley, Mechanic, MiWay
- Mississauga Fire & Emergency Services Home Safe Home Program Committee
3. Leadership & Empowerment Award: Given to an individual at
any level of the Corporation who through leadership and vision has inspired staff by gaining
their commitment, making them feel valued and by building effective teams.
- Sally Eng, Director, Internal Audit
4. Team Effectiveness Award: Given to a team that has successfully
achieved superior results through group effort.
- Collaboration Project, interdepartmental team
5. Partnership Award: Given to employees who have engaged in a
joint project or event, with an external organization, association, service group or level of
government where the outcome has demonstrated mutual benefits.
- Sheridan Computer Resource Centre: A Project of the Sheridan Library and
Polycultural Immigrant & Community Services, interdepartmental team
6. Kirk French Spirit Award: This award honours the memory of
former employee Kirk French. This award is given to an individual who exemplifies a love of
life, adds laughter and vitality to the workplace and enriches the lives of
- Cheryl Elford, Administrative Coordinator, Finance
7. Brenda Sakauye Environment Award: This award honours the memory
of former employee Brenda Sakauye. The award is given to an individual or team who has
made an innovative or significant environmental contribution which advanced the Citys
Strategic Plan Living Green pillar for change.
- Woodlands and Natural Areas Team, comprised of staff from Parks and Forestry
8. City Manager's Award of Excellence: Presented to a team that has
demonstrated outstanding qualities of excellence in their work.
- Mississauga Cultural Resource Mapping Project Team, interdepartmental team
As Canada's sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 741,000 residents and more than
54,000 businesses, including more than 60 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or
major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on
the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is
"Leading Today for Tomorrow" by focusing on delivering services, implementing its
Strategic Plan, delivering value for money and maintaining infrastructure.
- 30 -
Manager, Corporate Communications (A)
Phone: 905-615-3200 x5832