Feb 22, 2012
In a ceremony held today in Council, over 130 City of Mississauga employees were honoured
with internal Corporate Awards for Excellence for outstanding achievements in 2011.
The Corporate Awards for Excellence program gives us an opportunity to celebrate the many
outstanding achievements of City employees, said Janice Baker, City Manager and CAO. The
commitment and hard work of our staff make a big impact to the success of Mississauga as a
municipal leader. It gives me great pride to recognize their accomplishments in this
The Corporate Awards For Excellence are presented annually, in eight different
The award categories and 2011 recipients are:
1. Customer Service Award: Given to an
individual or team who has consistently "gone the extra mile" to earn the respect,
support and appreciation of their customers.
- Malton Parks Team (Recreation & Parks, Community Services Department)
2. Continuous Improvement Award: Given to an
individual or team who has brought about a significant change through their innovation and
- Hansen Activity Timesheet - Parks (HAT-P) Mobile Solution Team (comprised of staff from
3. Leadership & Empowerment Award: Given to an
individual at any level of the Corporation who through leadership and vision has inspired staff
by gaining their commitment, making them feel valued and by building effective teams.
Ken Owen, Director Facilities &
Property Management, Corporate Services Department
4. Team Effectiveness Award: Given to a team
that has successfully achieved superior results through group effort.
- Mississauga Celebration Square Official Opening June 22, 2011 (comprised of staff from
5. Partnership Award: Given to employees who
have engaged in a joint project or event, with an external organization, association, service
group or level of government where the outcome has demonstrated mutual benefits.
- MiWay Student Ambassador Program (comprised of staff from various departments)
6. Kirk French Spirit Award: This award
honours the memory of former employee Kirk French. The Spirit award is meant to recognize
individuals who are able to lift the spirits of their co-workers with their positive outlook
toward their job and life in general. This award is given to an individual who exemplifies a
love of life, adds laughter and vitality to the workplace and enriches the lives of others.
Lori-anne Bonham, Planning, Development
& Business Services, Community Services Department
7. Brenda Sakauye Environment Award: This award
honours the memory of former employee Brenda Sakauye. The award is given to an individual
or team who has made an innovative or significant environmental contribution which advanced the
Citys Strategic Plan Living Green pillar for change.
- OConnor Park Development Project Team (comprised of staff from various divisions within
the Community Services Department)
8. City Manager's Award of Excellence: Presented
to a team that has demonstrated outstanding qualities of excellence in their work.
Infrastructure Stimulus Fund (ISF) and
Recreational Infrastructure Canada (RInC) Core Project Team (comprised of staff from various
As Canada's sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 738,000 residents and
55,000 businesses, including 63 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major
divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the
shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is "Leading
Today for Tomorrow" by focussing on delivering services, implementing its Strategic Plan,
delivering value for money and maintaining infrastructure.
- 30 -
Employee Communications Advisor
Phone: 905-615-3200 x4073