More Mississauga Tweets
City of Mississauga’s 2012 Grant Programs: Corporate and Arts & Culture

Mar 08, 2012

Mississauga Council approved recommended funding for community-based groups under the City's grant programs, allocating $407,413 for corporate grants and $1,412,907 for the cultural granting program.

"The City of Mississauga's grant programs allow us to continue to build a community that serves residents," said Paul Mitcham, commissioner, Community Services. "The City is committed to strengthening our neighbourhoods which we are able to do by supporting community-based organizations through these programs."

Corporate Grants Program

The Corporate Grants Program is coordinated by the City's Recreation and Parks Division. This year's approved funding of $407,413 will be divided among 11 groups that provide community-based programs, services and projects for Mississauga residents. The grants will be awarded to:

• Riverwood Conservancy - $131,859
• Riverwood Conservancy Youth Plan - $11,800
• Mississauga Sports Council - $79,861
• Square One Older Adult Centre - $66,393
• Community Living Mississauga - $10,500
• St. John Ambulance, Mississauga Branch - $7,500
• Mississauga Chinese Business Association - $5,000
• Volunteer Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon - $35,000
• Nexus Youth Services - $35,500
• Mississauga Friendship Association - $12,000
• Erin Mills Youth Centre - $12,000

"Grants submissions must undergo a complete review to ensure each application meets the criteria for accountability, effectiveness, accessibility and collaboration," said Stu Taylor, acting director of Recreation & Parks. "The groups that receive funding through the grants program have sustainability and do important work in our community."

Groups approved for corporate grants in excess of $20,000 will receive 75 per cent of the grant directly following Council's approval and the remaining 25 per cent following the submission of their previous year's final financial statements. All financial statements are reviewed by the City's Finance Division.

Since 2000, the City of Mississauga has awarded almost $10 million to local community groups to assist with community-based programming.

Corporate Grants Program Contact:
Stu Taylor, acting director of Recreation & Parks 905-615-3200 ext. 4381

Arts & Culture Grant Program

The Arts & Culture Grant Program is administered by the Culture Division which, under Council direction, assumes direct responsibility for the distribution of municipal grants to arts, heritage and cultural organizations.

"The grant program offers Mississauga's arts, culture and heritage organizations support to achieve leadership stability and to reach their goals," said Susan Burt, director, Culture Division. "With grants these groups are in a better position to take advantage of creative and artistic opportunities that will further enhance their contribution to the Mississauga community."

Grants totalling $1,412,907 will be awarded to groups for long-term growth and development of arts and culture in our community. The grants will be awarded to:

Operating Grants
• Art Gallery of Mississauga - $316,000
• Chamber Music Society of Mississauga - $85,000
• Esperanza Music Project - $5,000
• Heritage Mississauga - $200,000
• Kaleidoscope Chinese Performing Arts (KCPA) - $15,000
• Living Arts Centre (LAC) - $80,000
• Mississauga Arts Council (MAC) - $239,000
• Mississauga Big Band Jazz Ensemble - $6,190
• Mississauga Children’s Choir - $15,000
• Mississauga Chinese Arts Association (MCAO) - $15,000
• Mississauga Choral Society - $70,000
• Mississauga Festival Choir - $15,000
• Mississauga Festival Youth Choir - $5,000
• Mississauga Santa Claus Parade - $10,000
• Orchestras Mississauga - $100,000
• Polish Canadian Society of Music - $10,000
• Sampradaya Dance Creations - $70,000
• SAWITRI Theatre Group - $5,000
• Theatre Unlimited - $13,900
• Visual Arts Mississauga (VAM) - $110,000
• Youth Troopers for Global Awareness (YTGA) - $5,000

Project Grants
• Kaleidoscope Chinese Performing Arts (KCPA) - $5,000
• Mississauga Festival Youth Choir - $3,750
• Monstrartity - $5,000

Capital Grants
• Chamber Music Society of Mississauga - $1,067

Technical Assistance Grants
• Monstrartity - $8,000

Arts & Culture Grant Program Contact:

Yvonne Koscielak; grants officer, Culture Division: 905-615-3200 ext. 5476

As Canada's sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 738,000 residents and 55,000 businesses, including 63 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is "Leading Today for Tomorrow" by focussing on delivering services, implementing its Strategic Plan, delivering value for money and maintaining infrastructure.

Media Contact:
Baljit Seran
Public Affairs Consultant
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200 ext. 5053
TTY: 905-896-5151