Feb 06, 2015
The Mississauga Sports Council in partnership with the City of Mississauga is hosting the 2015 Mississauga Sport Summit on February 28 at the Toronto Airport West Hotel. As part of the City of Mississauga Sport Plan, the Summit encourages members of local sport groups to take a greater role in their groups/clubs development.
“Our Mississauga is a place where active and healthy lifestyles, through sports and recreation opportunities, are encouraged by City Hall,” Mayor Bonnie Crombie said. “Sport transcends language and culture - it is a unifying force for our diverse City. Newcomers involved in sports activities are better positioned to adjust to their new neighbourhoods,” Mayor Crombie added. “I am proud that the City of Mississauga has partnered with the Mississauga Sports Council to bring athletes, coaches, volunteers and organizations together, to develop ideas and solutions to support athletes, teams and to elevate the quality of life for all residents.”
The Summit offers informative presentations, dynamic speakers and training relevant to a diverse range of Mississauga's community-based sport organizations. The day will provide best practices, inspirational speakers and networking opportunities that will both strengthen and shape the future of sport in Mississauga.
What: Mississauga Sports Summit (registration and a networking breakfast)
When: Saturday, February 28
Time: 8 a.m.
Toronto Airport West Hotel
5444 Dixie Rd.
Schedule of Events:
* Networking breakfast
* Welcome by Mississauga Sports Council president, Lisa Alexander, silver medalist with the 1996 Olympic Synchronized Swim Team
* Greetings from Mayor Bonnie Crombie and
* Pan AM/Parapan Am Games presentation
* Two full day certification programs: Board Governance Boot Camp in partnership with Volunteer MBC
- Board Governance Boot Camp in partnership with Volunteer MBC and
- High Five Sport Training
* Best Practices in Volunteer Recruitment
* 10 Steps of Volunteer Screening
* Fast Track round table session covering such topics as the City’s new online sports portal, sport injury, police checks, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) Customer Service, and Ontario Trillium Foundation Grants and
* Coaching at the Grassroots presented by Sheilagh Croxon who has developed grassroots athletes into Olympic champions
Mid-day break includes a networking buffet luncheon, an update from Hazel McCallion, events Honorary Chair, Mississauga Sports Hall of Famer and inspirational keynote address:
Keynote speaker: Curt Harnett – three-time Olympic Cycling medalist, Canadian Sport and Cycling Hall of Fame inductee and Chef de Mission for the Canadian 2015 Pan American Games team
Afternoon breakout sessions:
* Two panel discussions: Going for the Grant and Heads Up – Stop Concussions!
* Sponsorship FUNdamentals with Landmark Sport & Mississauga Steelheads
“This is an amazing opportunity to engage and inspire our community sport groups and support grassroots programs and volunteer board governance,” says Lisa Alexander, president of the Mississauga Sports Council and both an Olympic and Pan Am Games medalist. “Building on community relationships, our team of Summit organizers are reaching out to the entire Mississauga sport community to promote greater collaboration and provide more sport and recreation opportunities. The 2015 Mississauga Sport Summit is a great way to get involved and share best practices and innovative approaches to sport development.”
Registration is online atmississauga.ca/2015sportsummit. Tickets are $25 for up to two people (plus applicable taxes) for Mississauga community sport groups. There is no limit on tickets purchased per group. Registration includes continental breakfast, refreshments and lunch. Complimentary parking and Wi-Fi is available for all attendees.
An initiative of the Mississauga Sport Plan, the 2015 Sport Summit leadership is provided through the Sport Summit Advisory Committee and partnership of the Mississauga Sports Council and City of Mississauga.
For more information about the Mississauga Sport Summit, visit mississauga.ca/2015sportsummit or contact the Mississauga Sports Council at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-267-3536.