May 04, 2015
The City of Mississauga, in partnership with the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) and Sheridan is hosting this year's Town and Gown Association of Ontario (TGAO) symposium in Mississauga. This annual symposium draws attendance from municipalities, universities and colleges across Ontario and around the world.
TGAO is dedicated to improving the quality of life in municipalities that host post-secondary institutions by promoting and supporting activities that ensure cohesive communities that are safe, healthy and enjoyable.
Symposium Highlights & Photo Opportunities
Day 1 - Tuesday, May 12
Mississauga Central Library, 301 Burnhamthorpe Road
Opening Remarks - 8:15 – 8:45 am
- Janice Baker, City Manager & CAO, City of Mississauga
- Orest Katolyk, President, TGAO
Leadership Panel - 8:45 – 9:45 am
- Mayor Bonnie Crombie, City of Mississauga
- Professor Deep Saini, Vice-President, University of Toronto & Principal, U of T Mississauga
- Dr. Jeff Zabudsky, President & CEO, Sheridan
Sheridan College – Hazel McCallion Campus, 4180 Duke of York Blvd
International Town and Gown Association - 12:45 – 1:30 pm
- Beth Bagwell, MPA; Executive Director, International Town and Gown Association
- Susan Stafford, Director, Off-Campus Housing & Neighbourhood Relations, The University of Colorado Boulder
Students Being Leaders of Tomorrow - 1:30 – 2:15 pm
- Sheldon Leiba, President & CEO, Mississauga Board of Trade
- UTM and Sheridan student participants
Day 2 - Wednesday, May 13
University of Toronto Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Road
Keynote, The University and the City: A Partnership for Prosperity - 9 – 10 am
- Professor Meric Gertler, President, University of Toronto
Innovation and Economic Development in the U.S.: Complementary Roles of Higher Ed, Government, Industry and Investors - 11:15 – 12:15 p.m.
- Thomas Moebus, Principal, TenXGrow
Why are we seeking more Urban & Integrated Centres /Role of PSI’s in Fostering Healthy & Mixed Use Communities -1:15 – 2:30 pm
- Ken Greenberg, Principal, Greenberg Consultants Inc.
- Dr. David Mowat, Interim Chief Medical Officer of Health, Province of Ontario
- Dr. Eileen de Villa, Acting Medical Officer of Health, Regional Municipality of Peel
For complete program details visit tgao.ca
The Town and Gown Association of Ontario (TGAO) evolved out of Town and Gown symposia held in Waterloo, Hamilton and Guelph, Ontario during 2004 and 2005. The continued growth of post-secondary institutions and the subsequent effects on near-campus neighbourhoods was the catalyst for these symposia.
For more information or to arrange interviews, please contact: