Nov 03, 2015
On November 9, stop by the Holcim Waterfront Estate to learn more about the Skynner Cup. The Skynner Cup is a commemorative silver cup gifted to British Royal Navy Commander John Skynner by the Maltese in the 1800’s. The Cup was given to Skynner for his efforts in protecting Malta during the Napoleonic wars from 1796 to 1815. The Skynner family lived in the Anchorage House on the Bradley Museum site from 1830-1890.
Join Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie, Members of Council and Charles Sultana, Consul General of Malta for a special presentation as the Cup is inducted into the Museums of Mississauga’s artifact collection.
Monday, November 9, 2015
5 to 5:15 p.m. – Guests Arrive
5:15 to 5:45 p.m. – Speeches and Presentation of Cup
Reception to follow
Holcim Waterfront Estate
2700 Lakeshore Rd W.
Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie
Ward 2 Councillor Karen Ras
Ward 4 Councillor John Kovac
Consul General of Malta, Charles Sultana
Museums Chief Curator, Stuart Keeler
Museums of Mississauga Advisory Committee (MOMAC) and Chair, Jeremy Harvey
Friends of the Museums and Chair, Becky Ryder
The Cup will be permanently exhibited at the Anchorage, Skynner’s former home at the Bradley Museums. Treat yourself to a guided tour and explore the Museums rich artifact collection, exhibitions and public programs. Pre-booked tours and programs are also available seven days a week. To book a tour, please call 905-615-4860.
The Museums of Mississauga presents an exceptional collection of historic house museums with the goal to create a meaningful dialogue on a shared past, a collective present and a collaborative future. By presenting relevant exhibitions, educational programs and innovative engagement experiences, the Museums connect the public with Mississauga’s story which is shaped by our Canadian identity and global context.
Senior Communications Advisor
City of Mississauga
905-615-3200, ext. 5053
John Skynner’s Service in Malta
The Royal Navy assigned Lieutenant Skynner to Malta in 1802. Napoleon had captured the island four years earlier as a blockade of the Mediterranean Sea. The Royal Navy successfully obstructed France’s navy and Malta was liberated by the British. For his efforts, John Skynner was made a full captain and given command of his own brigantine – the Hirondelle, a two-masted sailing vessel known for speed and manoeuvrability.
The Skynner Cup
In 1808, the people of Malta presented a commemorative silver cup to Royal Navy Commander John Skynner. The cup recognized Skynner’s efforts to protect the little Mediterranean island during the Napoleonic wars from 1796 to 1815, helping to keep the lines of navigation open between Malta and Gibraltar during the war.
The Cup’s Features
The Skynner Cup is a 12” silver cup. On the lid of the cup is a woman embracing a large bird with one arm and holding a laurel wreath with the other. The laurel wreath is a symbol of appreciation. The handles of the cup represent entwined snakes. The Skynner Cup features the rose of England, the thistle of Scotland, the shamrock of Ireland and also includes acanthus leaves. The acanthus only grows in the Mediterranean and was added to the usual British triumvirate to represent Malta’s link to the empire.
Adrienne Gates, a descendent of John Skynner, donated the Cup to the Museums of Mississauga in 1995.
The Museum of Mississauga’s heritage house – the Anchorage was also Skynner’s former home. The Anchorage now contains the offices of the Museums of Mississauga, exhibition area and Museums offices. The Anchorage is a Regency period “cottage” that was originally located south of Lakeshore Road, west of Southdown Road on land that had been granted to Colonel Stephen Jarvis in 1812. Commander Skynner purchased the property in 1839.