Jun 23, 2016
The City of Mississauga launched a new Community Recognition Pilot Program today to recognize special occasions and events which enhance the health, welfare, safety and cultural diversity of the community.
The pilot program provides the opportunity to recognize and celebrate special occasions and events which foster a spirit of community, celebrate Mississauga’s diverse cultures and contribute to enriching the quality of life in Mississauga.
“Mississauga Council is demonstrating further leadership to ensure our world-class city continues to be a welcoming, dynamic and inclusive place that proudly celebrates the enriching diversity of our residents,” Mayor Bonnie Crombie said. “This new pilot initiative is in response to growing community interest for flag raisings and clock tower lightings that will serve as important gestures that will bring people together to celebrate shared values.”
“The City of Mississauga is a caring, accessible and inclusive municipality,” said Councillor Sue McFadden, Chair of the Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee (DIAC). “There are so many great local and international groups and causes out there that the City can recognize and this program will make it easier to provide them with broader awareness in our community.”
Starting June 23, 2016, community organizations can request recognition either though a flag raising or lighting of the Civic Centre clock tower. As part of the application process:
• Organizations must submit flag raising requests at least six weeks in advance.
• Organizations must submit lighting requests at least two weeks in advance.
• Organizations can select only one recognition option (flag raising or lighting) per year.
• Requests must be made annually; they will not carry over year after year.
• Recognition items are issued at the City’s discretion.
• The City will review and evaluate requests in the order they are received.
Read the policy and visit the Community Recognition Program web page for more information including full program criteria and the online application process.