The City of Mississauga will be accepting applications for the Transit Operator position from Friday August 8, 2014 to Sunday August 17, 2014. Applications will only be accepted on-line via the City’s career website www.mycitycareer.ca.
Please review the information provided below regarding 'How To Apply' as well as the information regarding the Transit Operator Recruitment Process.
Your interest in the Transit Operator position is appreciated, however only those selected to move forward in the recruitment process will be contacted. Given the large number of applicants, we will not respond to individual inquiries regarding application status.
The City of Mississauga offers a competitive salary and benefits plan. All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act. We are an equal opportunity employer.
For all other inquires please contact us at: email@example.com
The Transit Operator Recruitment Process
- Apply online via the "Click here for job posting" link at the bottom of this webpage.
- For step-by-step instructions on completing the online application process, please refer to the “How to Apply” link at the bottom of this webpage.
- Candidates will be screened based on the established skills and competencies as identified in the job posting.
- If you do not have regular access to a computer in order to apply for the Transit Operator position, there are computers available for public use at the Mississauga Central Library.
- Once your application is submitted you will receive an automated confirmation response.
Invitation to Test
- Potential candidates meeting the established job criteria as identified in the job posting will receive an e-mail invitation which will include your assigned testing date and times as well as other relevant information.
- Only those candidates meeting the job criteria will be contacted
- If you are invited to the testing session, you will be required to submit a current 3-Year Driver’s Abstract (with no infractions, offences, convictions, demerit points or accidents – no exceptions). Abstracts must be dated within 4 weeks of the testing date. Please note, applicants which do not meet the criteria for the Driver’s Abstract will not be considered for testing and the recruitment process. For information on how to apply for a Driver’s Abstract visit: http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/uncertified-drivers-record. There will be a $30.00(+ HST) non-refundable administration fee.
- Applicants must complete an online assessment and a written assignment in order to proceed further in the recruitment process. You must successfully meet the minimum test score requirement in order to proceed further in the recruitment process.
- All relevant information regarding the session will be provided in the email.
Job Shadow Exercise and Reference Preparation
- Before a candidate attends their interview they must complete the Reference Consent Form and Job Shadow exercise which requires the candidate to spend time on the MiWay transit system observing Transit Operators as they perform the day-to-day functions of their job while working with the public.
- The purpose of this exercise is to expose you to the realities of the work environment of a Transit Operator. A detailed instruction package on how to successfully complete the job shadowing exercise will be provided at the testing session
- Interviews will be conducted by an interview panel consisting of representatives from Human Resources and Transit Operations. You will be asked a series of behavioral style interview questions specific to the position of Transit Operator.
- Candidates must also bring the completed Reference Consent Form and the Job Shadow exercise with them to the interview. The Interview panel will review the completed job shadow exercise with the candidate.
- Candidates moving forward from the Interview stage will be reference checked. You must provide 3 work related references from either supervisors or managers that you directly reported to (reference consent forms will be provided at the testing session.)
Final Hiring Decision
- The hiring manager will review the candidate’s interview summary, and a decision will be determined on all previous stages of the recruitment process.
Conditional Job Offer / Medical Report / Criminal Record Search
- A decision will be determined based on all previous stages of the recruitment process.
- Successful candidates will be contacted by a City representative and provided with information on a conditional offer of employment as a Transit Operator. At this time they will also confirm acceptance of position and discuss the start date.
- Candidates will be instructed to visit a Ministry of Transportation office to obtain a Medical Report Form that is to be completed (at their cost) by their family physician. Medical report forms are to be submitted directly to the Ministry of Transportation at the time of license application submission
- On the first day of training candidates will need to provide:
- Vulnerable Criminal Record Search Certificate. All job offers at the City of Mississauga are conditional, upon providing, at your own expense, a Criminal Record Search, to verify you do not have a criminal record for which you have not received a record suspension (pardon).
- Driver’s Abstract in good standing with no indication of infractions, offences, convictions, demerit points or accidents.
- All successful candidates are scheduled to participate in a 5 week Transit Operator training program, beginning on their first day.
- The training program will consist of both in-class and on-street sessions. You must meet the minimum testing requirements on all examinations related to your “CZ” license in order to continue as a Transit Operator.
Full Employment Status as a MiWay Transit Operator
The offer of employment is conditional upon:
- Successful completion of the training period;
- Successful completion of a nine-month probationary period;
- Confirmation (at your expense) of a satisfactory Ministry of Transportation 3 Year Driver's Abstract;
- Criminal Record Search Certificate (Vulnerable Sector Screening), to verify you do not have a Criminal Record for which you have not received a record suspension (pardon); and
- Successfully Receiving a Ministry of Transportation CZ License .