We are currently accepting Transit Operator applications on-line exclusively for employment
Only those applicants that meet the screening criteria will be contacted.
Benefits: The City of Mississauga offers a competitive salary and
comprehensive benefit plan.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Please do not contact City staff for application status updates.
The Transit Operator Recruitment Process
- During our Transit Operator Recruitment Campaign, you can apply online via the "Click
here for job posting" link at the bottom of this webpage.
- For step-by-step instructions on completing the online application process, please refer to
the How to Apply link at the bottom of this webpage.
- Candidates will be screened based on the established skills and competencies as identified
in the job posting.
- If you do not have regular access to a computer in order to apply for the Transit Operator
position, some are available for public use at the Mississauga Central Library.
Invitation to Test
- Potential candidates meeting the established job criteria as identified in the job posting
will receive an e-mail invitation which will include your assigned testing date and times as
well as other relevant information.
- Only those candidates meeting the job criteria will be contacted.
- If you are invited to the testing session, you will be required to submit a current
(within 4 weeks of date of testing) drivers abstract in good standing
(no infractions, no offences, no demerit points, no accidents). There is
a $20.00 + HST non-refundable administration fee.
- Applicants must complete an online assessment and a written assignment in order to proceed
further in the recruitment process. You must successfully meet the minimum test score
requirement in order to proceed further in the recruitment process.
- All relevant information regarding the session will be provided in the email.
Job Shadow Exercise and Reference Preparation
- Before a candidate attends their interview they must complete the reference consent
form and spend time on our transit system observing Transit Operators as they perform the
day-to-day functions of their job while working with the public.
- The purpose of this exercise is to expose you to the realities of the work environment of a
Transit Operator. A detailed instruction package on how to successfully complete the job
shadowing exercise will be provided at the testing session.
- Interviews will be conducted by an interview panel consisting of representatives from Human
Resources and Transit Operations. You will be asked a series of behavioral style
interview questions specific to the position of Transit Operator.
- Candidates must also bring the completed reference consent form and the job shadow exercise
with them to the interview. The Interview panel will review the completed job shadow
exercise with the candidate.
- Candidates moving forward from the Interview stage will be reference checked. You must
provide 3 work related references from either supervisors or managers that you directly
reported to (reference consent forms will be provided at the testing session.)
Final Hiring Decision
- The hiring manager will review the candidates interview summary, and a decision will
be determined on all previous stages of the recruitment process.
Conditional Job Offer / Medical Report / Criminal Record Search
- A decision will be determined based on all previous stages of the recruitment
- Successful candidates will be contacted by a city representative and provided with
information on a conditional offer of employment as a Transit Operator. At this time they will
also confirm acceptance of position and discuss the start date.
- Candidates will be provided a Ministry of Transportation Medical Report form that is to be
completed (at your cost) by your family physician, medical report forms are to be submitted
directly to the Ministry of Transportation
- Prior to your start date you must provide:
- Proof of application for the BZ license from the Ministry of Transportation
- Vulnerable Criminal Record Search Certificate. All job offers at the City of
Mississauga are conditional, upon providing, at your own expense, a Criminal Record Search, to
verify you do not have a criminal record for which you have not received a pardon.
- Clean drivers abstract
- All successful candidates are scheduled to participate in a 4 week Transit Operator
training program, beginning on their first day.
- The training program will consist of both in-class and on-street sessions. You must
meet the minimum testing requirements on all examinations related to your BZ
license in order to continue as a Transit Operator.
Full Employment Status as a MiWay Transit Operator
The offer of employment is conditional upon
- Passing the mandatory training program
- Providing an acceptable vulnerable criminal record search certificate
- Providing a drivers abstract in good standing (no convictions, no infractions, no demerit
points, no accidents)
- Successfully completing the 9 month probationary period.
Candidates who do not pass the training and/or are unable to pass the Ministry of
Transportation testing requirements to obtain a class BZ license, will have the
conditional offer of employment withdrawn.
For all other inquires please contact us at: email@example.com