Anchorage House Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 18 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph- Anchorage Renovation
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph- Anchorage Renovation
Identifier: 2006.4.5.20
Donor: City of Mississauga
Item Date: 1978
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Black and white glossy photo of the anchorage being renovated. The side panels look as if they are being painted and there is only one window installed, all the others are boarded up. There are no paved roads around the museum.

"Built about 1830 on land in the area of Lakeshore Road and Southdown Road, and bought in 1839 by Commander John Skynner. It is a one and a half storey Regency style cottage with a five bay facade. After Skynnerís death in 1846 alterations were made to the building. It was occupied by the Skynner family until 1853 then passed through several owners until it was acquired by National Sewer Pipe who used the building as an office. It was donated to the City of Mississauga in 1978 by the Ryland New Family, owners of National Sewer Pipe, and moved to its present location on the Bradley Museum site. The building underwent extensive renovation over the years and officially opened in 1992 offering space for an exhibit gallery, tea room, curatorial workspace, meeting room and artifact collection storage."

The moving of the Anchorage to the Bradley Museum site occurred in June of 1978 and cost about $ 55,000.00 to move the building over a 7 hour period. The move was accomplished by Stanwal and House Movers of Toronto and was assisted by with the help of various employees and volunteers from Mississauga Hydro, Bell Canada, Peel Regional Police, Recreation and Parks, Terracom and CN.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851