COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Benares House Gallery
Displaying image 85 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Book - “Temple Bar”
  View Full size image
Title: Book - “Temple Bar”
Identifier: 979.6.1492
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1862-1863
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A set of bound volumes entitled "Temple Bar: A London Magazine For Town and Country Readers" with a leather spine and reinforced corners. The cover is a mottled blue, gray and black. The volumes were published by the "Office of Temple Bar 122 Fleet Street." The collection includes: (1) Vol IV- March 1862; (2) Vol V- July 1862; (3) Vol VI- November 1862; (4) Vol VII- March 1863; (5) Vol VIII- July 1863; and (6) Vol IX- November 1863.

The Temple Bar was a London journal published between 1860-1906. It was issued monthly with a cover price of 1s. The journal was launched in December 1860 by John Maxwell with author George Sala as its editor. Sala was also a main contributor of fiction and wrote his The Seven Sons of Mammon (1862) and The Strange Adventures of Captain Dangerous (1862) for the periodical. Another popular feature in the magazine's early numbers was Miss Braddon's Aurora Floyd (1863). The journal was originally not illustrated so that an additional 16 pages of text could be included. The contents were miscellaneous, with a strong emphasis on serialized fiction. The initial circulation of 30,000 dropped soon after the journals launch and Maxwell sold the magazine to Sala around 1862. Editorship later passed to Richard and then to George Bentley. The magazine enjoyed a long period of success and merged with Bentley’s Miscellany in 1868. Contributors under the Bentley regime included Willkie Collins, Maarten Maartens, Charles Reade, Henry Kingsley, George Gissing, R L Stevenson and Anthony Trollope. It also carried high quality women's fiction from Mrs Henry Wood, Rhoda Broughton and A B Edwards. George Bentley died in 1895, and the house of Bentley went under in 1898. Macmillan kept the now unfashionable magazine going for another few years. From:
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
   Virtual Museum of Canada