COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Benares House Gallery
Displaying image 112 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Book - “With Sword and Crucifix”
  View Full size image
Title: Book - “With Sword and Crucifix”
Identifier: 979.6.1372
Donor: Geoffrey Sayers
Item Date: 1900
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Benares Historic House

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A hard covered blue book entitled "With Sword and Crucifix". The book has a red outline and a red Maltese cross in the centre with a red fleur de lis design around it. There is gold writing on the spine.

Edward Sims Van Siles wrote this book in 1900. The book is about seventeenth century French explorers in America who discover a city of Incas on the lower Mississippi. Edward Van Siles was a writer of verse and prose. He was awarded the Palmes d'Officier de l'Instruction Publique et des Beaux Arts in 1922 for his work serving as a war correspondent in 1917. Some of his poetry was published in the New York Times.

"James Harper and his brother John, printers by training, started their book publishing business J. & J. Harper in 1817. Their two brothers, Joseph Wesley Harper and Fletcher Harper, joined them in the mid 1820s. The company changed its name to "Harper & Brothers" in 1833. Harper & Brothers began publishing Harper's New Monthly Magazine in 1850. The brothers also published Harper's Weekly (starting in 1857), Harper's Bazar (starting in 1867), and Harper's Young People (starting in 1879). Harper's New Monthly Magazine ultimately became Harper's Magazine, which is now published by the Harper's Magazine Foundation. Harper's Weekly was absorbed by The Independent (New York; later Boston) in 1916, which in turn merged with The Outlook in 1928. Harper's Bazar was sold to William Randolph Hearst in 1913 and is now Bazaar, published by the Hearst Corporation. In 1962 Harper & Brothers merged with Row, Peterson & Company to become Harper & Row. Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation acquired Harper & Row in 1987, and William Collins & Sons in 1990. The names of these two national publishing houses (Harper & Row in the United States and Collins in Britain) survive in the newly formed HarperCollins, which has since expanded its international reach with further acquisitions of formerly independent publishers. The Harper imprint began being used in place of HarperCollins in 2007."
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
   Virtual Museum of Canada