|Description: A black and white enlarged photograph of Springfield. In the background is St. Peter's Anglican Church, surrounded by trees. A road is in the middle and appears to be in the same position as today's Dundas Street. Below the church is the Credit River with a bridge. The road is lined with electrical poles. Three houses and two women( one thought to be Charlotte Schreiber) are on the left side. A man is walking in the middle. A buggy with two horses, five men, and a child are in the right side of the foreground. Two buildings are on the right, one with a tall sign reading - The Exchange by G. Taylor. There appears to have been a tear in the left upper corner of the original photograph. 'Springfield' is handwritten in blue ink on the back of the photograph. 'Copy' is written in pencil on the right hand corner of the back of the photograph.|
History:The area of Springfield has had many names over the past. Originally called Toronto in the early 1800s, once the post office was established in the 1830s, the town was then called Credit (after the Credit River). Shortly afterwards, the town of Credit was called Springfield. It then changed to Springfield-on-the-Credit. In 1900, the name was changed to Erindale, after the estate of Rev. James Magrath (the grandfather of Mary Harris).