|Description: A round, metal compass with a hinged metal and glass lid that covers the face. The face of the compass is white mother of pearl around the outside and beige paper (?) in the centre. The letters are black and there is a large black E and W on the face. The indicator hand is also black and is attached by a brass screw. The compass is painted black but has a brass band with further directional numbers around the entire base. There is a brass ring attached at the top for carrying. A brass screw is attached to one side and another smaller brass button releases the inside face of the compass. "GHS" is etched onto the front cover. Also on the front lid is "Verner's Patented". The back of the compass has a red rubber rim and in the centre of this rim is "E.R. Watts & Sons, Canada Ltd."
History: This compass would have been used by Geoffrey Sayers during his military career.
This item was donated by Geoffrey Harris Sayers, who was born 23 April 1907 and died 25 November 1997. A retired businessman, he was the first child of Beverly and Annie Sayers (née Harris). A member of the Canadian Armed Forces, he was appointed 2nd Lieutenant 14 June 1938. Two years later, he was appointed Lieutenant. As of 21 April 1941, he was appointed the rank of Temporary Captain, and was recommended for appointment to the Lorne Scots (P. D. and H. Regiment) based out of Brampton. According to his military file, Captain Geoffrey Sayers served with the Canadian Forces from 21 April 1941 until 11 October 1945, when he was honourably discharged. From 17 June 1941 until 13 March 1945, he also served with the British Forces (he had British citizenship). He received the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp 1939-45.
Geoffrey Sayers and his sisters, Dora Sayers Caro, and Barbara Sayers Larson donated Benares Historic House to the Ontario Heritage Foundation in 1969. It has operated as a museum under the City of Mississauga since 1995 and was officially transferred to Mississauga in 2000. Geoffrey Sayers and his wife Kathleen (née Colloten) occupied Benares from 1969 until 1981. During that time, they acted as care takers of the estate on behalf Ontario Heritage Foundation. They kept a small display of artifacts in the kitchen, and opened up the house once a year to the public. He also maintained the Benares financial affairs in 1932 for Naomi (Na) and Mary, who were unable to do so themselves.