|Description: A large black and white photograph with white borders all around. A photograph of Toronto Maple Leafs trainer Bob Haggart standing next to unidentified Toronto Township Hockey players. The trio are believed to be standing inside the hallway of Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens. Mr. Haggart is wearing a wind breaker with the Toronto Maple Leaf emblem stitched on the front pocket; he is also wearing a ball cap and light coloured slacks. The two boys are both wearing hockey sweaters, one marked with "Malton Hockey Assoc." and other marked with "Buckeye." There are two round tables in front of the trio with a bunch of 'CCM' hockey sticks laid out on top. Behind the group there is a large mural in the background with a collage featuring various Toronto Maple hockey players, coaches and people throughout the organization's years. |
The Toronto Township Hockey League was formed in 1946 with Cooksville, Streetsville, Erindale, Clarkson, Lorne Park, Cloverleaf, Burnhamthorpe, Malton and Lakeview. The league had five divisions and the first President was Alf McCallum. There were 45 teams by 1950 and the Junior 'B' team called the Dixie Flashers (later Dixie Beehives) was entered in to the Ontario Hockey Association. In 1956, the league became affiliated with the Toronto Hockey League. In 1968, the Toronto Township Hockey League became the Mississauga Hockey League (MHL) with 400 teams registered and playing across Ontario by 1972, ensuring that people of all ages could take part in the game. Today, the MHL is divided into 8 regional associations.