|Description: A black felt bowler hat, which has a 3 cm wide grosgrain ribbon wrapped around the rim, ending in a flat bow on the side. The ends of the ribbon are frayed. The edge of the hat's rim is edged in the same ribbon. Apart from the frayed ribbon, the outside of the hat is in good condition. Inside the hat, there is a 5 cm wide leather band, a 1 cm wide white stiffening circular band and is a 16 x 2 cm x 3 mm wide piece of white felt used to make the hat fit properly. All three pieces are loose. Glued inside the hat is a 3.5 x 2.5 cm paper label that reads, "7" and "2044.2", which is handwritten. The leather band has gold markings that read, "Sterling Quality, Light Weight", "Made in England. Established 1773", "Christys' Reg'd.", "London." |
Originally belonged to the donor's father-in-law, Mr. Harry Moss of Sarnia (?) Ontario.
Tommy was born and raised in Mississauga on a dairy farm that is now the present site of Erindale High School. Tommy was the first historian of St. Peterís Anglican Church and the Bell Tower Museum which was created out of the many things he had collected. Tommy and his wife, Jean Gladys, were both avid historians for the Mississauga area and both wrote books on local history. The two married on March 12 1942.