COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Bradley Collection Gallery
Displaying image 1 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Photograph- Robinson Adamson House-The Grange, Erindale
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph- Robinson Adamson House-The Grange, Erindale
Identifier: 2006.4.3.1
Date Built: 1828-1833
Donor: City of Mississauga
Item Date: 1960-1990
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Black and white glossy photo mounted on thick cardstock. The image is of a square house with a door in the centre and two gabled windows. There is a tree to one side and grass at the front.

"The Grange", also known as the Robinson-Adamson House, is believed to have been built as a summer home and government office for the Honourable Sir John Beverley Robinson, former Chief Justice of Upper Canada. The house is believed to have been built between 1828 and 1833 and designed by Deputy Surveyor General William Chewett. The 50 acres of land and the building itself was sold in 1832 to a series of buyers. Owners included William Thompson, Dr. Beaumont Dixie, and the Adamson family of Erindale. In 1978 Cadillac Fairview donated The Grange to the City of Mississauga. The Grange was used as an office by Scouts Canada until mid-2004. The Grange is now home to the offices of Heritage Mississauga (Mississauga Heritage Foundation). The house is located on 1921 Dundas Street West, Erindale.

According to "Mississauga’s Heritage: The Formative Years 1798-1879", "The entrance has an eight-panelled door, and the surrounding sidelights and transom have multiple small glazed panes, flanked by deeply-grooved pilasters, which support a linearly-incised architrave. The front casement windows have twenty-one panels each, and are bordered by forty-one paned sidelights. The flanking pilasters and capping architrave are similar to those of the door. The innovative entablature of the building has a diminutive architrave, a highly-stylized frieze, and a wide-spreading cornice."
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
   Virtual Museum of Canada