|Description: Colour photograph of some gravestones in Springcreek Cemetery on Clarkson Road North. The family names listed on the gravestones from front to back include Elliot, Bayliss, Ginger, Cryderman and Shain. |
The cemetery is located on 1390 Clarkson Road North. According to a transcription by the Halton Peel Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society, the cemetery was originally called "Chambers Spring Creek Grave Ground." Moreover, the society states that it could be the oldest burial ground in Peel County. One stone dates back to 1812 but it is not for certain that the person in question was actually buried there.
The first owner of the land on which the cemetery now rests was William Kelly, "who obtained a deed for 120 acres in 1824." He sold the farm in two portions in 1827 and 1828. The terrain sold in 1828 which eventually became the cemetery land, was purchased by John Chambers of Toronto Township. "The minutes of 1848 state that prior to 1837 the trustees of the cemetery were John Chambers, Warren Clarkson, and Nathaniel Hemhill. The earliest family names in the cemetery include Greeniaus, Pollard, Gable, Bradley, Merigold, Hendershot, Marlatt, Shook, Oliphant, Hemphill, Savage, Oughtred, Peer, Lawrence, Munn, Kelly, Smith and Clarkson."