COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Bradley Collection Gallery
Displaying image 502 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
Tin- Pears' Fuller's Earth Powder
  View Full size image
Title: Tin- Pears' Fuller's Earth Powder
Identifier: 2008.25.3
Donor: Lynn Watson
Item Date: 1901-1911
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: An unused can of absorbent and deodorant powder. The small tin cylindrical can is beige in colour and is marked in black and red lettering. The front of the can is marked 'Pears' white precipitated Fuller's Earth an absorbent & deodorant Power. Best for Baby's Tender skin'. The top of the can has a picture of a female nurse holding a baby in her lap. The back marked with a small red coat of arms that reads 'By appointment toilet soap makers to H.M. the King A.F. Pears Ltd'. The bottom of the can impressed into the metal with the words 'Manufactured in Great Britain A.F. Pears Ltd.'

Items belonged to donor’s mother, Phyllis Maybee. Phyllis Marion Maybee, née Fryer, was born June 11, 1905 in West Toronto, but lived most of her life in Port Credit. Her father, John Harry Fryer, built a house at 1235 Minaki Drive (off Mineola Road) in Port Credit c. 1922. She lived here during her childhood and even rented this home for a few years once she was married. The house was a Dutch Colonial style and the ownership was transferred to Marguerite Patricia Fryer in 1967. The land was subdivided in 1988 with the intent to demolish it. Legend Homes has owned it since 2005 and it was illegally torn down recently. Mr. Fryer apparently named the street Minaki after a northern Ontario lodge. It is an aboriginal word meaning "all good land" or "beautiful country" according to the Heritage Impact Statement created by LACAC.

Phyllis married Gareth Edward (Garry) Maybee (1902-1996) on August 27, 1927 at Trinity Anglican Church and they had 68 years together. Gary Maybee was born on June 9, 1902 in Toronto but his family moved to Port Credit and they lived on Stavebank Road. He graduated from U of T in 1924 and Osgoode Law School in 1927. Upon graduation he entered his father's patent practice, Ridout and Maybee. The Maybees had three daughters, Jane Stock, Nancy Archer and Lynn Watson. Phyllis and her husband lived at 88 Cumberland Drive in Port Credit from around June 1944 until moving to Chelsey Park nursing home in 2006. Mrs. Maybee celebrated her 101st birthday in June 2006 and passed away in April 2007.

Phyllis used to volunteer for the former South Peel Hospital repairing gowns and later working in the gift shop. She also knitted hundreds of layette sets for new born babies that were sold in the gift shop. Phyllis also loved to play Bridge and was a member in several clubs for over 50 years.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
   Virtual Museum of Canada