|Description: A black lace dress with a net-like bodice. The skirt has two layers of lace flowers. The dress is sleeveless and the top half is sheer, while the bottom is solid. |
This item was donated by the Herridge family, long time residents of Mississauga and owners of Herridge Market on Southdown Road in Clarkson. Lloyd Coulson Herridge (1912-1988) and his wife Viola née Ehrhardt (1912-2004) had six children; Lois, Ross, Don, Bruce, Jim and Jane ( Jane donated these items on behalf of her family). All members of the family worked at the market and it still continues to be a family run business with Don Herridge and his family now managing the market. Lloyd Herridge and all of his children attended Clarkson School on Clarkson Road South. Lloyd, aside from operating the market, worked for the Public Utilities Commission and was also involved in local politics. He served as a Deputy Reeve and was a close friend of former mayor of Toronto Township Robert Speck. The dress originally belonged to the mother and grandmother of the donor's husband. His grandmother, Mrs. Coleson, died in 1940 at the age of 90. Mr. Herridge's parents came to Canada from England in 1901.