|Description: A cast iron weight scale with the marking, 'Burrow, Stewart and Miln Co. Ltd. Hamilton, Ont', on the brass arm. It has a cast iron base painted black and a tin bowl. It comes with a w/4 iron counterweights on the hanger (two pounds, four pounds, and eight pounds (X2). 'O18400' is stamped on the end of the brass arm. There is a remnant of a gold painted stripe on the base. |
A weighing scale (usually just 'scale' in common usage) is a device for measuring the weight of an object. These scales are often used to measure the weight of a person, and are also used in science to obtain the mass of an object.
This artifact was originally used on the Norman Farm, Erindale, in operation from 1920-1962. The donor, Edward C. Norman, assisted his father (Edward Henry Norman but known as Harry) who bought the farm in 1920 with his friend Walter after returning from WWI. The farm was 27 acres and was located on the south side of Dundas Street on the east side of the present day Woodchester Mall. The Normans were market farmers living off their crops which included some soft fruit, row crops, 1000 laying chickens and one cow. The Normans raised Leghorn and later Leghorn-Wyndotte cross hens and sold their eggs to local stores and drop in customers from Toronto. The farm was sold to United Lands Corporation in 1962. All items were used on the farm by the Normans. This pulley would have been used when unloading hay from the wagon into a loft. _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighing_scale_