Bradley Collection Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 15 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Berry Basket
  View Full size image
Title: Berry Basket
Identifier: 2008.12.58
Donor: Mario Druso
Item Date: 1915-1925
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A one pint, square berry basket made out of pressed paper. The basket in all has a natural buff colour. The outer surface of the basket is covered with coarse fabric. On outer surface of bottom impressed: "1 DRY PINT BERIGARD 1-BBS." Vertical vent slits from base, 3 extending about halfway up each side.

This artifact was salvaged from the O'Neil farm located on 3361 Mississauga Road in Erindale.

James and Ann O’Neil of County Wicklow in Ireland immigrated after the potato famine to Quebec where James found work on the railway. Around 1867 they moved to Streetsville purchasing two properties equalling 80 acres of land. In the 1877 Ontario Census James (77) was listed as a farmer and a Catholic. His wife Ann (70) and daughter Bridget (26) live with him. James died in 1888. His son John Moody O’Neil (1841-1911) bought property south of his fathers at Mississauga Road called the Grange Cottage. Their son John Thomas O’Neil (1878-1931) married Rachael Mosley and they had two sons, Hugh and John. Thomas moved to Vancouver for a short time but returned to his family home and built an addition on to the back of his family homestead at 3361 N. Mississauga Road. Hugh (1913-2006) was the last owner of the homestead and ran a fruit farm. Hugh was an eccentric and very wealthy man who choose to live in his parents neglected farm house.

The property was sold to the donor in 2008. The house and out-buildings have been demolished but heritage organizations were allowed to salvage any items that would help to preserve the history of Mississauga.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8850