|Description: Yellow, black and red ingrain carpet fragment, leaf and scroll design. Two long edges formed by selvedge, two short edges hand hemmed.|
History: The Gage House used to be located in Toronto Township at 6265 Second Line East, Concession 3, E H S, Lot 11, between Steeles and Derry Road East ( in the former village of Palestine) and was demolished in 1981. It was probably built in the 1870s by Albert Gage, the Gage House was a 1¿ storey T-shaped building with Italianate polychrome quoins (multi-colour brickwork) and Tuscan gables. From http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/residents/allhistoricimages. The Gage family, under the direction of patriarch Andrew Albert Gage, settled in the Palestine area of Toronto Township (Mississauga) around 1830. Andrew Albert Gage was born around 1803, near Stoney Creek, in Saltfleet Township, and was of Irish ancestry. His father, Robert Gage, had settled there around 1800. Robert married Rachel Grafton. Some of the early part of the family history is uncertain, and there appear to be several Gage-Grafton intermarriages. Andrew Albert Gage, following his marriage to Mary Jane Grafton of Toronto Township around 1830, relocated to Toronto Township and settled on part of Lot 11, Concession 3, EHS, immediately east of the Grafton family farm. The couple raised seven children, five of whom were Stewart Grafton Gage, Albert Andrew Gage, Minnie, Rachel Catherine, and William James Gage. Following Stewart Grafton Gage’s death in 1856, and father Andrew Albert Gage’s death in 1868, the farm passed to his eldest surviving son, Albert Andrew Gage. Albert was active in the local community, and served on the inaugural Board of Trustees for the Palestine Primitive Methodist Church in 1871. In 1886, Albert gave land for the establishment of a new school, and, according to Royal Grafton, Albert was a ‘stalwart pillar of the community.’ Albert married Mary Jane Kent and the couple had five children: Francis Herbert, Jeannie Willamine, Maude, Violet Victoria, and Mary Jane. The last owners of the family farm, in 1950, are listed as Maude and Victoria Gage, spinsters. However, it was their uncle, Albert’s brother and youngest sibling, the shone the brightest in the Gage family: William James Gage, born in 1849, suffered from consumption as a child. He first attended school at Derry West, and then at the Brampton High School, before becoming a teacher himself at Broddytown Public School. He later went into publishing in Toronto, being unable to further his own studies in medicine. His enterprise became very successful, and in 1910 W.J. Gage was elected president of the Associated Boards of Trade in Toronto. He financially supported and raised awareness for medical research, and conceived of the idea for privately owned sanitariums. Together with Lord Strathconna, he was amongst the founders of the National Sanitarium Association and of the Queen Mary Hospital for Consumptive Children in Toronto. He helped to open the first public sanatorium for consumption in Muskoka, and within 15 years, there were over 40 such hospitals across Canada. Throughout this time, he traveled throughout North American and Europe, investigating ways in which consumption was treated. In 1913, W.J. Gage was honoured with as a Knight of Grace of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, and in 1918 he was knighted. Sir William J. Gage received an honourary degree of Doctor of Laws from Mount Allison University. He died on January 13th, 1921. After his death, he gave land to the Town of Brampton for a public park - Gage Park - established the Grafton Gage Endowment Fund, the Ina Gage Fund, and left a bequest to Dixie Union Cemetery for beautification and maintenance of the cemetery in honour of his parents. From Mississauga Heritage Foundation.