|Description: A colour photograph of the front exterior of Sheridan Nurseries located at 606 Southdown Road. To the left of the photograph is part of the greenhouse. The main building is a one storey structure composed of several horizontal planks of wood stacked together. There is stone on one side with ground to ceilings windows throughout. The roof is made of wood with several green beams sticking out; a large green structure sits on one side of the roof.|
Sheridan Nurseries started in 1913 by Howard and Lorrie Duningthon who emigrated to Canada in 1911. The pair bought 100 acres of land from Daniel Greeniaus and named it Sheridan after the small village located at the intersection of what is now Winston Churchill Boulevard and the QEW. The Sheridan Nurseries Garden Centre, which is located on 606 Southdown Rd, was established in 1920 when 10 acres of land was initially purchased in that area. According to Kathleen Hicks' Clarkson book from 2002, the Mississauga-Oakville Sheridan Nurseries presently sits on about 7.5 acres of land.
|Copyright: Museums of Mississauga|
|Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga |