|Description: A black and white photograph of apple picking at Clarkson. A group of three men and three women in an apple orchard, are sorting and packing apples into wooden barrels. The subject is about 5 x 3 cm, centered on the print. A 6 or 7-step ladder is propped on a tree to the proper left. The people all wear dark coloured clothing with long sleeves and hats. Sorting is directly on the grass or at a small table. |
History: Clarkson is said to have been the apple capital of Ontario in the first half of the 1900s. Remnants of orchards can be seen along the Ontario Hydro right-of-way at Indian Road, for example. Jean Lindsay, née Hodgetts, was a friend of Barbara Larson of Benares Historic House and had often visited in her youth as well as working as a volunteer interpreter in her later years. Jean's father, Percy Warburton Hodgetts (1878-1966) and his friend Alexander Westervelt purchased 20 acres of land in 1910 from Andrew Orr. The land was located on the west side of Clarkson Road South (Lot 29, Con. 3). Percy and Alexander planned to divide the land and tossed a coin to see which half they would get. Alexander got the property that had Bush's Inn on it (one time home of Captain Sutherland and his family who are related to the Harrises of Benares). Percy built a large home on the bank of the creek that became known as Hodgetts Creek since it ran through their property and emptied into the Rattray Marsh (now called Sheridan Creek). Percy received a Bachelor of Science and Agriculture degree in 1897 from the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph. He was appointed to the Provincial Department of Agriculture in 1902 and acted as the secretary for the Ontario Fruit Growers Association (1904) and later was appointed to Head Director (1908). Percy was an active member of the Carmen Methodist Church. Percy Hodgetts married Emily Mae Hendison (1879-1944). They had three children: Agnes, Jack, and Jean.