Clarkson Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 94 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Photograph - Sheridan Creek, Clarkson
  View Full size image
Title: Photograph - Sheridan Creek, Clarkson
Identifier: 2007.7.2
Donor: Jean Lindsay
Item Date: 1915-1925
Image Creator: Museums of Mississauga
Creation Date: 2008
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A black and white photograph of Sheridan Creek. Both of the creek banks are lined with mixed deciduous trees. The view is upstream. There are deadfall trees spanning the water.

History: Jean Lindsay née Hodgetts, was a friend of Barbara Larson of Benares Historic House and had often visited in her youth as well as working as a volunteer interpreter in her later years. Percy Warburton Hodgetts (1878-1966) and his friend Alexander Westervelt purchased 20 acres of land in 1910 from Andrew Orr. The land was located on the west side of Clarkson Road South (Lot 29, Con. 3). Percy and Alexander planned to divide the land and tossed a coin to see which half they would get. Alexander got the property that had Bush's Inn on it (one time home of Captain Sutherland and his family who are related to the Harrises of Benares). Percy built a large home on the bank of the creek that became known as Hodgetts Creek since it ran through their property and emptied into the Rattray Marsh (now called Sheridan Creek). Percy received a Bachelor of Science and Agriculture degree in 1897 from the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph. He was appointed to the Provincial Department of Agriculture in 1902 and acted as the secretary for the Ontario Fruit Growers Association (1904) and later was appointed to Head Director (1908). Percy was an active member of the Carmen Methodist Church. Percy Hodgetts married Emily May Henderson (1879-1944). They had three children: Agnes, Jack, and Jean.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8853