|Description: A black and white photograph of the ravine at Clarkson Road South. The foreground is a creek with a steep, high bank. To the proper left is a large double-trunked tree with few leaves; roots are exposed on the creek bank. To the proper right, two children (a boy about 4 and a girl about 6) are standing at the far side at the water's edge. Beyond the creek there is a split rail fence, then a few trees, perhaps a small orchard. At the top of the rise there are a few coniferous trees. Written in blue ink on the back of the photo is 'About 1912, Ravine Clarkson Rd. S (Main Highway)'.|
History: Jean Lindsay née Hodgetts, was a friend of Barbara Larson of Benares Historic House and had often visited in her youth as well as working as a volunteer interpreter in her later years.
Percy Warburton Hodgetts (1878-1966) and his friend Alexander Westervelt purchased 20 acres of land in 1910 from Andrew Orr. The land was located on the west side of Clarkson Road South (Lot 29, Con. 3). Percy and Alexander planned to divide the land and tossed a coin to see which half they would get. Alexander got the property that had Bush's Inn on it (one time home of Captain Sutherland and his family who are related to the Harrises of Benares). Percy built a large home on the bank of the creek that became known as Hodgetts Creek since it ran through their property and emptied into the Rattray Marsh (now called Sheridan Creek). Percy received a Bachelor of Science and Agriculture degree in 1897 from the Ontario Agricultural College in Guelph. He was appointed to the Provincial Department of Agriculture in 1902 and acted as the secretary for the Ontario Fruit Growers Association (1904) and later was appointed to Head Director (1908). Percy was an active member of the Carmen Methodist Church. Percy Hodgetts married Emily May Henderson (1879-1944). They had three children: Agnes, Jack, and Jean.