|Description: A light grey carved stone arrowhead. Various ridges all over the surface with a pointed front and rounded back. Lighter in colour around the tip with faint brown scratches. |
History: Found and donated by Jean Lindsay. Location and dates are unknown but perhaps found at her childhood home on Clarkson Road South. From about 1700 AD, the Mississauga, a tribe of the Ojibwa Nation, occupied much of the north shore of Lake Ontario. They established semi-permanent horticultural villages, and by the 1800s lived mainly in the Credit Indian Reserve and Credit Mission Village. Percy Warburton Hodgetts (1878-1966) and his friend Alexander Westervelt purchased 20 acres of land in 1910 from Andrew Orr. The land was located on the west side of Clarkson Road South (Lot 29, Con. 3). Percy and Alexander planned to divide the land and tossed a coin to see which half they would get. Alexander got the property that had Bush's Inn on it (one time home of Captain Sutherland and his family who are related to the Harrises of Benares). Percy built a large home on the bank of the creek that became known as Hodgetts Creek since it ran through their property and emptied into the Rattray Marsh (now called Sheridan Creek). Percy was an active member of the Carmen Methodist Church. Percy Hodgetts married Emily May Henderson (1879-1944). They had three children: Agnes, Jack, and Jean. Jean Lindsay was a long-time volunteer of Benares Historic House and a childhood friend of Barbara Sayers Larson.