COVID-19: latest updates on the City's response and service impacts
Clarkson Gallery
Displaying image 3 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
  View Full size image
Title: Arrowhead
Identifier: 2007.7.9
Donor: Jean Lindsay
Item Date: 1800-1900
Creation Date: 2008

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A dark grey stone arrowhead. It has a sharp pointed front and there is a large chip out of one side of the back end. White spots and brown (dirt) stains cover various parts of the surface.

History: Found and donated by Jean Lindsay. Location and dates are unknown but perhaps found at her childhood home on Clarkson Road South. From about AD1700 the Mississauga, a tribe of the Ojibwa Nation, occupied much of the north shore of Lake Ontario. They established semi-permanent horticultural villages, and by the 1800s lived mainly in the Credit Indian Reserve and Credit Mission Village. Percy Warburton Hodgetts (1878-1966) and his friend Alexander Westervelt purchased 20 acres of land in 1910 from Andrew Orr. The land was located on the west side of Clarkson Road South (Lot 29, Con. 3). Percy and Alexander planned to divide the land and tossed a coin to see which half they would get. Alexander got the property that had Bush's Inn on it (one time home of Captain Sutherland and his family who are related to the Harrises of Benares). Percy built a large home on the bank of the creek that became known as Hodgetts Creek since it ran through their property and emptied into the Rattray Marsh (now called Sheridan Creek). Percy was an active member of the Carmen Methodist Church. Percy Hodgetts married Emily May Henderson (1879-1944). They had three children: Agnes, Jack, and Jean. Jean Lindsay was a long-time volunteer of Benares Historic House and a childhood friend of Barbara Sayers Larson.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)