|Description: Woman's blue velvet cape. Black lace trimmed stand up collar with black watered silk ribbon at front. Interior lined with blue, green, yellow and red plaid silk, with a single pleat down back. |
History: This item was donated by the Herridge family, long time residents of Mississauga and owners of Herridge Market on Southdown Road in Clarkson. Lloyd Coulson Herridge (1912-1988) and his wife Viola née Ehrhardt (1912-2004) had six children; Lois, Ross, Don, Bruce, Jim and Jane who donated these items on behalf of her family. All members of the family worked at the market and it still continues to be a family run business with Don Herridge and his family now managing the market. Lloyd Herridge and all of his children attended Clarkson School on Clarkson Road South. Lloyd, aside from operating the market, worked for the Public Utilities Commission and was also involved in local politics. He served as a Deputy Reeve and Reeve and was a close friend of former mayor of Toronto Township Robert Speck. Women's clothing belonged to donor's husband's mother and grandmother. Grandmother, Mrs. Coleson died in 1940 at the age of 90. Mr. Herridge's parents immigrated from England in 1901.