Clarkson Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 31 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Change Purse
  View Full size image
Title: Change Purse
Identifier: A.114.71
Donor: Muriel Hare
Item Date: 1900-1920
Creation Date: 2008
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A mesh purse with a curved metal rim, chain handle, and green lining. The front side is decorated with curls of twisted metal, beads, and a delicate small disc of metal. Inside the purse there are three open compartments. One divider has a metal clasp which opens and reveals another compartment. _BREVETA_ is stamped on the inside rim. The purse had a rattlesnake rattle inside.

History: Coin purses are small purses, just large enough to hold money and cards. The donor, Muriel Terry Hare (1912-1995), was the daughter of Charles and Ellen Terry of Clarkson. Muriel married Harold Robert Hare (d. July 6, 1998) who was the past president of the Mississauga South Historical Society and a member of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch No. 82. Mr. Hare served in World War II with the Lorne Scots. He donated many photographs to the Canadiana Room at the Central Library in Mississauga where they can be seen today. Charles Terry bought 50 acres of land in Clarkson in 1910 located between Fifth Line (Southdown Road) and Clarkson Road. The main crops at the Terry farm were apples and strawberries. The Terry family are best known for their co-operation in charitable works done in Clarkson and particularly with the Clarkson- Lorne Park Women's Institute which held an annual _Strawberry Festival_ at their farm every year. This started in 1919 and World War I veterans at the Christie Street Hospital in Toronto were brought to take part in the activities. In 1920, over 100 veterans attended this event. This event continued at their farm until into the 1940s. From: Clarkson and its Many Corners by Kathleen Hicks, 2002.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8853