Clarkson Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 1 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Scarf
  View Full size image
Title: Scarf
Identifier: 981.3.5
Donor: Viola Herridge
Item Date: 1920
Creation Date: 2008
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Pink silk scarf with flower embroidery at each end. The ends of the scarf are cut to a chevron shape and from this hemmed edge 9 cm tassels are attached with 2 cm wide macrame knots. The edges are machine hemmed but the embroidery appears identical on each side which usually means handwork.

History: This item was donated by the Herridge family, long time residents of Mississauga and owners of Herridge Market on Southdown Road in Clarkson. Lloyd Coulson Herridge (1912-1988) and his wife Viola née Ehrhardt (1912-2004) had six children; Lois, Ross, Don, Bruce, Jim and Jane (Jane donated these items on behalf of her family). All members of the family worked at the market and it still continues to be a family run business with Don Herridge and his family now managing the market. Lloyd Herridge and all of his children attended Clarkson School on Clarkson Road South. Lloyd, aside from operating the market, worked for the Public Utilities Commission and was also involved in local politics. He served as a Deputy Reeve and Reeve and was a close friend of former mayor of Toronto Township Robert Speck. Women's clothing belonged to donor's husband's mother and grandmother. Grandmother, Mrs. Coleson died in 1940 at the age of 90. Mr. Herridge's parents immigrated from England in 1901.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp01:8853