Clarkson Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 5 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Awl
  View Full size image
Title: Awl
Identifier: 2007.7.10
Donor: Jean Lindsay
Item Date: 1800-1900
Creation Date: 2008
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A curved bone pointed implement, probably an awl, made from the cleithrum bone of a fish. (The cleithrum is part of the pectoral girdle to which the pectoral fin is attached). It is cream coloured with a black tip and brown along the underside and on top at the other end. There is slight cracking where it curves to the black tip. REF: www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/fishing/cleithback.

History: Jean Lindsay née Hodgetts, was a friend of Barbara Larson of Benares Historic House which she had often visited in her youth as well as working as a volunteer interpreter in her later years. Percy Warburton Hodgetts (1878-1966) and his friend Alexander Westervelt purchased 20 acres of land in 1910 from Andrew Orr. The land was located on the west side of Clarkson Road South (Lot 29, Con. 3). Percy and Alexander planned to divide the land and tossed a coin to see which half they would get. Alexander got the property that had Bush's Inn on it (one time home of Captain Sutherland and his family who are related to the Harrises of Benares). Percy built a large home on the bank of the creek that became known as Hodgetts Creek since it ran through their property and emptied into the Rattray Marsh (now called Sheridan Creek). Percy was an active member of the Carmen Methodist Church. Percy Hodgetts married Emily May Henderson (1879-1944). They had three children: Agnes, Jack, and Jean.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850