Farming Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 14 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Grinding Wheel, Grinder
  View Full size image
Title: Grinding Wheel, Grinder
Identifier: 996.1.9
Donor: Edward C Norman
Item Date: 1900-1920
Creation Date: 2011
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: A small grinding wheel with an hand-operated mechanism encased in iron. It is table-mounted and the crank has a wooden handle painted black. On the marker's plaque reads, 'The Carborundum Co. Niagara Falls, Ont. Niagara No. 1, Model No. 70'. There are burgundy paint remnants on the metal casing.

This artifact was originally used on the Norman Farm, Erindale, in operation from 1920-1962. The donor, Edward C. Norman, assisted his father (Edward Henry Norman but known as Harry) who bought the farm in 1920 with his friend Walter after returning from WWI. The farm was 27 acres in size and was located on the south side of Dundas Street on the east side of the present day Woodchester Mall. The Normans were market farmers living off their crops which included some soft fruit, row crops, 1000 laying chickens and one cow. The Normans raised Leghorn and later Leghorn-Wyndotte cross hens and sold their eggs to local stores and drop in customers from Toronto. The farm was sold to United Lands Corporation in 1962. All items were used on the farm by the Normans.

The exact type of grinder is unknown.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8851