Farming Gallery
IMAGE DETAILS
 
Displaying image 15 of 1: Back to Thumbnail Images < Previous  |  Next >
   
Grindstone
  View Full size image
Title: Grindstone
Identifier: 983.9.1
Donor: Alfred Weaver
Item Date: 1800 1900
Creation Date: 2012
Location: Bradley Museum

Conditions of Use:
See Terms of Use & Privacy Statement.
Description: Round grinding wheel with a round metal centre shaft 33 cm L by 2 cm squared on one end; other end has a 6.5 cm crank arm.

Grindstone was donated by a descent of the Weaver family of Lorne Park.

Alfred Weaver owned and operated the General Store in Lorne Park, which he had bought from Clarence Albertson. The store was located on Lorne Park Road near the railway tracks. Alfred Weaver Sr. lived with his family beside the store. Alfred and his wife had 6 children. On 19 June 1930, Alfred Weaver Sr. became the full time Lorne park postmaster. The post office was located in the back of his store. This was later moved once Lorne Park became a _full-fledged post office_. Alfred Sr. resigned as postmaster in 1948.
Alfred Weaver Jr. assumed the Postmaster duties the next day. In 1953, the Lorne Park Post Office was built. A special celebration marked the opening of this post office. In May 1961, the post office was changed to a sub-office and the residents of Lorne Park now had to give their address as Port Credit.
Alfred Jr. and Thomas Weaver owned and operated the Lorne Park General Store and Post Office under the name Weaver Brothers ca. 1935.
In the 1960s, the Weaver's expanded their business. Construction was undertaken to make the store larger and there was a hardware store, pharmacy, grocery store and the post office. The people involved in the expansion were Thomas Weaver, Alfred Weaver Jr., Norm Bolton, and Mr. Ellis. They owned the operation up until 1968. Thomas Weaver died in 1998, and Alfred died in 1999.

Grindstone is a type of tool used for grinding and sharpening tools. They are often put on a stand and have pedals to control speed of rotations. This example shows any earlier version of a grindstone that were operated by hand.
Copyright: Museums of Mississauga
Rights & Permissions: Museums of Mississauga
Related Links:
   Museums of Mississauga Home Page
   Virtual Museum of Canada
   Canadian Heritage Information Network (CHIN)
pcomapp02:8850